Re: Personal Scrum

  • aefager
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 27, 2006
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Deemer"
      <petedeemer@...> wrote:

      > I wanted to share with you an experiment I've been running for the
      > last several months, in hopes that it might spark some interesting
      > conversation. It's the use of a modified version of Scrum for
      > managing my life, and through trial and error it's become quite
      useful
      > in helping me to do a better job accomplishing goals and filling my
      > life with things that make me happy.

      And in the interests of getting this thread back on topic, I figured
      I would add my experience with this. My personal activity planning
      has evolved over time, from:

      1. College -
      I would draw up 24 hour weekly charts with Sleep and Dates and
      Classes and Jobs, with no time for homework or spontaneity :). Cram
      sessions were at least planned for in advance.
      Done on ruled paper once a week.

      2. Married -
      Planning was done for joint activities first, second, and last, both
      resources in one chart as one unit, still no spontaneity. Football
      games were booked in advance, but not always adhered to. :( It got my
      wife into planning though, so it was a step in the right direction.
      Done in DOS text file template off a printer so that repeat items
      were pre-filled in.

      3. Steven Covey and Charles Givens -
      Began ranking tasks 1-4, with expected hours needed, tried to improve
      organization and reduce costs, and by moving from an hourly schedule
      chart to a "feature point" chart, allowed for some freedom of
      movement. Time specific tasks were now commented in the description.
      Done on a Lotus 123 spreadsheet.

      4. Children -
      Additional modification for columns based on resolving priority
      tiebreaker conflicts as free time became more still precious.
      Day/Night, Day tasks get priority since Night tasks can be done day
      or night. Home/Outside, try to lump Outside tasks together for one
      road trip. Introduced more individual tasks, expected more
      interruptions.
      Done in Excel.

      5. Loss Of Calendar (Y2K) -
      Calendar Creator stopped working in 2000, but rather than continue
      with that, just added the values into a permanent second list. This
      Backlog(!) second sheet was used to handle repeating tasks like
      halloween decorations (yearly), pay bills (monthly), wish list items
      (Tahiti), reminders about birthdays (even ours!), items that would
      reach far beyond the next couple of weeks.
      Done in Excel, with two sheets.

      6. Modified Family Scrum -
      Create a prioritized burndown chart, get daily updates, involve
      everyone in the weekly plans, allow people to estimate their own
      costs. Modified in that it has an additional tail showing each
      individual's remaining burndown hours. We do not retain previous
      sprints. Basically, the kids (8 and 6) understand getting down to 0,
      and the grownups are free to accomplish in the order they choose
      based on a previously agreed on priority, rather than saying Laundry
      must be on Wednesday from 8 to 11pm.
      Done in Excel, with two sheets.

      How do you store yours?

      Aaron.