RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: [XP] Agile and CMM are contradictory

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2001
      Eric Hodges writes:
      > I agree with most of what you say, but I can't help thinking
      > of Edison. His greatest invention was a repeatable process
      > for inventing things. Menlo Park has been a successful
      > model for something approaching the continuous invention
      > of software development ever since.

      Eric:

      Scrum and XP are identical in nature to Edison's invention
      process. They are repeatable but only at a high level, because
      they always break a project in iterations. However, they
      are not repeatable or defined at the low-level. At that level
      they are just a set of practices working together.

      Contrast this with the CMM requirements to document detailed
      "sequenced steps".

      Could Edison predict always what the goal and result of an
      invention, the time spent doing prototypes, or even the
      sources of inspiration?

      I doubt it. Yet he could still break the _high-level_ process.

      We do the same in agile development i.e. Scrum or XP.

      Eric Hodges writes:
      > Perhaps a model like CMM but based on industrial R&D would
      > be more useful to us.

      This is exactly what Takeuchi and Nonaka argued -- that
      successful R&D companies were doing something different and
      that the ones following this model were much more successful.

      And that's what we need to do to move the software industry
      out of the tar pit:

      to make the realization that we need a different paradigm
      -- one that better fits our needs,

      - Mike