Groups are better than Individuals - research shows...

  • David A Koontz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2006
      I read this report of research in Scientific American Mind this
      weekend. In general it is supporting that team work is better at
      problem solving than individuals, I read it from the prespective of
      pair programming. Although the research found that groups of 3, 4 or
      5 people were best, pairs were just as good as the best individuls and
      better than the 2nd best individual at their task.

      FYI - David

      ----
      June 2006 issue

      Better Than Individuals
      By Mark Fischetti

      When three, four or five people gather to solve a problem, chances are
      they will succeed beyond the efforts of an equivalent number of
      individuals working separately, even if those soloists are the
      brightest available. So conclude researchers at the University of
      Illinois.

      The investigators enrolled 760 of the school's students to solve
      complex letter and word problems. Some toiled as individuals while
      others functioned in groups of two, three, four or five. The groups of
      three, four and five performed better than any set of
      individuals....continued at Scientific American Digital

      ----

      The original research authors paper can be found here:
      http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/psp904644.pdf

      The Scientific American Mind Article
      http://www.sciammind.com/article.cfm?articleID=0009CDB3-2503-1477-9D3383414B7F0000&ref=sciam