Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Nitty-gritty detail of updating Scrum artifacts

  • Cees De Groot
    Message 1 of 59 , Jul 2, 2006
      > Pick someone with influence who has a job that requires
      > concentration.

      That's almost a contradiction in terms. Managers typically work in
      interrupt-mode all day. But it could work, yeah :-).

      Besides, we *have* support on the levels that I can reach. The
      developers still don't fully buy into Scrum (having been micro-managed
      all their careers so far, they will need some time to see it work),
      but the rest of the business loves the structure it brings to them and
      they're trying very hard to support the process. However, on a company
      holding level some political decisions have been made to protect other
      divisions' interests which means that even my division director has
      one hand tied behind is back (and the other one is probably closely
      watched). Long story, you don't want to know, but the end result is
      that I'm close to scouting for an abandoned warehouse on our campus...
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 59 of 59 , Jul 4, 2006
        When I read about an organization with rampant context switching,
        siloing and resource fragmentation, I believe it is management's
        responsbility to figure out how to address the organizational
        dysfunctions rather than blame the developers for not being able to
        commit to what they can get done in short time frames under such
        circumstances.

        To say that the problem appears to be that the developers are slacking
        off exhibits so much arrogance on the part of management, my gut
        reaction is to suggest that if management has no more problems to
        solve and yet the development throughput is unsatisfactory, then maybe
        the organization needs less managers and more developers.

        Steven Gordon