Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Nitty-gritty detail of updating Scrum artifacts

  • Cees De Groot
    Message 1 of 59 , Jul 1, 2006
      On 6/30/06, Alex Pukinskis <alex@...> wrote:
      > Of course, this requires having an open space with desks that allow for
      > pairing; this means not using the L-shaped desks designed for people working
      > alone.
      >
      > Does your team pair in the open space?

      No, they're not convinced so I have work to do there... I agree 100%
      that pairing makes a team more resilient against distractions, but the
      team members (all young people in their twenties, so technically
      skilled but relatively junior with respect to development methods,
      good practices, etcetera) think that working alone with headphones on
      works better.

      And we have indeed these L-shaped desks, which makes it hard to do
      pair programming.We had an interior wall moved out by half a meter and
      we have some spare desks now that a couple of people have moved away,
      so coming week I'm going to experiment with the free space and free
      desks to see whether another arrangement works better. I'm a bit
      hesitant to throw in my weight re. pair programming if we don't even
      have an environment that makes it available. As soon as I have found a
      workable arrangement, I am going to ask them to try it for a couple of
      weeks.

      Another hurdle: there are three teams in that room - small teams, in
      fact too small. One mini-team of 2 people maintains a separate website
      and they work for someone else so I can't tell them to start
      pairprogramming. "my" teams don't want to disturb them, because that
      website makes lots of money and they like these guys. And if we, the
      other 8 guys, start pairing and they still work as lonesome cowboy
      coders, well... that'd be quite a disturbance, 4 conversations going
      on all the time :-). So I'm working to have them relocated, closer to
      their PO. Having that done will probably be another prerequisite for
      my pairing experiments (no, we don't work on laptops so we can't go to
      the restaurant and work there...).

      So, in the meantime, all I can do is try to keep things silent...
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 59 of 59 , Jul 4, 2006
        When I read about an organization with rampant context switching,
        siloing and resource fragmentation, I believe it is management's
        responsbility to figure out how to address the organizational
        dysfunctions rather than blame the developers for not being able to
        commit to what they can get done in short time frames under such
        circumstances.

        To say that the problem appears to be that the developers are slacking
        off exhibits so much arrogance on the part of management, my gut
        reaction is to suggest that if management has no more problems to
        solve and yet the development throughput is unsatisfactory, then maybe
        the organization needs less managers and more developers.

        Steven Gordon