Re: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM with Fixed Price Contracts

    Message 1 of 78 , Jul 1, 2006
      On Saturday, July 1, 2006, at 5:15:38 AM, Vickydhiman wrote:

      > Is it possible to run SCRUM with fixed price contracts especially
      > custom projects? For instance, lets say you need to make a program
      > to communicate between two satellites. And client is big company -
      > say NASA. They would only entertain fixed price estimates but are
      > happy to run the project with SCRUM. Now in order to give a good
      > estimate, I need all requirements defined to sufficient level of
      > detail - along with complexity/ third party components price/
      > resource chart etc. That goes against Big Design Up Front [or is
      > it different?] of Agile/ SCRUM? Without this, I cant estimate
      > amount of work using any method.

      > If I leave things to chance at a later stage then I might keep discovering the devil in detail
      > far too late, far too often [every sprint] and my estimate is going to shot way over.
      >
      > How can this be handled?

      I'm curious: How do you do fixed price contracts now, that doesn't
      "leave things to chance"? Do you actually have all the requirements
      up front? Given whatever you get, how do you estimate now?

      This is how I develop software.
      Take the parts that make sense to you.
      Ignore the rest.
    • Adrian Howard
      Message 78 of 78 , Jul 5, 2006
        On 5 Jul 2006, at 16:33, Vickydhiman wrote:

        > Hello Sammy:
        > Developers create the estimates based on specifications done by
        > Analysts. For most cases, estimates already exists and are pulled
        > from the database.
        [snip]

        How accurate are the estimates pulled from the database? What happens
        when they're wrong?

        Who decides that the developer has met the analysts spec?

        Adrian