[scrumdevelopment] SCRUM with Fixed Price Contracts

  • Vickydhiman
    Message 1 of 78 , Jul 1, 2006
      Is it possible to run SCRUM with fixed price contracts especially custom projects? For instance, lets say you need to make a program to communicate between two satellites. And client is big company - say NASA. They would only entertain fixed price estimates but are happy to run the project with SCRUM. Now in order to give a good estimate, I need all requirements defined to sufficient level of detail - along with complexity/ third party components price/ resource chart etc. That goes against Big Design Up Front [or is it different?] of Agile/ SCRUM? Without this, I cant estimate amount of work using any method.

      If I leave things to chance at a later stage then I might keep discovering the devil in detail far too late, far too often [every sprint] and my estimate is going to shot way over.

      How can this be handled?

      Thanks

      Vicki

    • Adrian Howard
      Message 78 of 78 , Jul 5, 2006
        On 5 Jul 2006, at 16:33, Vickydhiman wrote:

        > Hello Sammy:
        > Developers create the estimates based on specifications done by
        > Analysts. For most cases, estimates already exists and are pulled
        > from the database.
        [snip]

        How accurate are the estimates pulled from the database? What happens
        when they're wrong?

        Who decides that the developer has met the analysts spec?

        Adrian