Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Nitty-gritty detail of updating Scrum artifacts

  • Alex Pukinskis
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 29, 2006
      On 06 29 2006 9:14 AM, "Cees De Groot" <cdegroot@...> wrote:
      > So, instead of worrying about hours put in, I'm desperately trying to
      > get the teams relocated, have extra walls built, whatever. And I'm
      > collecting evidence against the profound stupidity of putting software
      > developers in an open plan office. =

      I've noticed that teams who do agile development in a shared space (either a
      team room or an open plan office) do struggle with distractions and
      maintaining flow unless they practice pair programming. The distractions
      are certainly increased, but the practice of pairing provides resilience to
      this. If a pair is interrupted, one person can respond to the distraction
      while the other remains focused and in flow. When the distraction is over,
      the focused person can quickly bring the unfocused person back up to speed.

      Of course, this requires having an open space with desks that allow for
      pairing; this means not using the L-shaped desks designed for people working
      alone.

      Does your team pair in the open space?

      -Alex
      --
      Alex Pukinskis - Agile Coach
      Rally Software Development - http://rallydev.com/
      Message 59 of 59 , Jul 4, 2006
        When I read about an organization with rampant context switching,
        siloing and resource fragmentation, I believe it is management's
        responsbility to figure out how to address the organizational
        dysfunctions rather than blame the developers for not being able to
        commit to what they can get done in short time frames under such
        circumstances.

        To say that the problem appears to be that the developers are slacking
        off exhibits so much arrogance on the part of management, my gut
        reaction is to suggest that if management has no more problems to
        solve and yet the development throughput is unsatisfactory, then maybe
        the organization needs less managers and more developers.

        Steven Gordon