RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: IEEE SWEBOK Is Looking for Reviewers--They Don't Even Mention XP, Agile, etc

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 4, 2003
      Deb--
      Good points.

      I think it's OK for an agile process to recommend specific practices. The
      perfect example is the type of things Scott Ambler recommends with "Agile
      Modeling." When I introduce Scrum into an organization I usually leave them
      with some Word document templates for various things--they're very
      lightweight and the recommendation is always "avoid these unless you need
      them but if you need them here's a start."

      I think your idea for an Agile Alliance program to contribute to SWEBOK is
      great. We don't have long though as they want reviewer feedback by 6/30.
      There's a form on the Alliance page if you want to start it as a program. If
      you do, count me in as a contributor. I printed the SWEBOK and signed up as
      a reviewer and plan to start reading it this weekend. An Agile Alliance
      group that contributed unified feedback and possibly offered to contribute a
      few pages (that's all we need) would be useful. It's criminal to not even
      mention XP, Scrum or agile at all in a "body of knowledge."

      --Mike

      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 6, 2003
        From: Fabian Ritzmann [mailto:usefri@...]
        > Need to bring this back on topic for this list. :-)

        Oh, I don't know -- we are still sort of on topic.

        > --- Fabian Ritzmann <usefri@...> wrote:
        > XP as I understand it uses unit tests and system
        > tests, unit tests for unit testing and system tests for
        > whatever the users want to test, including quality
        > aspects like performance, reliability, etc.

        We call tests by the user "acceptance tests" or ATs.

        I think this is a valid definition across XP and
        Scrum but I don't know if other agile methods call
        them the same way.

        Fabian wrote:
        >The principle problem is that provable (and executable)
        >specifications don't help if the specification is wrong.
        >And we all know that specifications always change,
        >that's why we do Scrum or another Agile development
        >method. Of course that shouldn't keep anybody from
        >improving the way we are programming these days.

        True. In our view, the need for acceptance tests
        conducted through people-2-people interaction
        never goes away for the exact reasons you list
        (and regardless the programming styles used):

        - making sure that the specification is not wrong
        - making sure that we keep up with changes
        for the specification
        - making sure that the user experience is
        comfortable i.e. timely, convenient, beautiful, etc.

        It is just easier, faster and even more economical
        in some paradigms of programming to do the above
        3 things,

        - Mike