Re: Product Backlog questions

  • gilmanj_2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2001
      Couple of follow ups.

      First, you say that "the 'current product backlog' represents work
      that will be done against the rooot of the source library."

      I was under the impression that the product backlog represented both
      work that will be done and work that "might" be done. However,
      release backlogs and sprint backlogs represented only work to be
      done. Is that incorrect?

      Second, how do you represent what is workable versus unworkable in
      the product backlog, or are you saying that items are moved out of
      the product backlog onto a release backlog and/or(?) sprint backlog,
      and not simply replicated in these lists, and it is at this point
      that said work becomes workable because you don't move items to these
      lists until you have put a sufficient level of thought to how they
      will be done?

      Hope this makes sense.

      P.S. I think this adds to my earlier comment that a valuable addition
      to the book would be sample artifacts showing their contents and
      relationships to each other.

      John

      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@v...>

      . . .

      > The current product backlog represents work that will be done
      against the
      > current root of the source library. Major functional, architectural
      and
      > design flaws are represented in this list, along with new
      functionality.
      > Like, we need to add additional indices to the workflow system
      because of
      > performance problems. Issues are in the product backlog, but they
      don't yet
      > represent work (unworkable backlog). For instance, an issue might
      be that
      > the workflow has inadequate performance for the volume of expected
      usage.
      > This isn't yet work (unworkable), but when it is thought about and
      the work
      > that will address it known (add more indices), the issue is removed
      and the
      > work (indices) is in the backlog.

    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2001
        <First, you say that "the 'current product backlog' represents work
        that will be done against the rooot of the source library."

        I was under the impression that the product backlog represented both
        work that will be done and work that "might" be done. However,
        release backlogs and sprint backlogs represented only work to be
        done. Is that incorrect?>

        Product Backlog is a single list of work that might be done. Separators
        indicate where we think the next Sprint might come from, the Sprint after
        that, etc., and another separator indicate that moment's plans for the next
        release. But the order and the separators move around as the business
        changes its mind because of market conditions or project progress. As
        product backlog is completed in a Sprint, it is removed from the product
        backlog (already done), or when it is selected for and being worked on in a
        current Sprint, it is marked and doesn't move until the end of the Sprint
        (when some of it might be not completed and need to be reentered into the
        Product Backlog. Sprint backlog is a separate list, and the only other
        separate list of work.

        <Second, how do you represent what is workable versus unworkable in
        the product backlog, or are you saying that items are moved out of
        the product backlog onto a release backlog and/or(?) sprint backlog,
        and not simply replicated in these lists, and it is at this point
        that said work becomes workable because you don't move items to these
        lists until you have put a sufficient level of thought to how they
        will be done?>

        Put a flag in a product backlog columns ... completed, pending, current
        sprint, issue. The issues are unworkable backlog because they need to be
        turned into work.

        <<.S. I think this adds to my earlier comment that a valuable addition
        to the book would be sample artifacts showing their contents and
        relationships to each other>

        I agree.
        Ken

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2001
          Now I think I get it!

          wrote:

> [...]
          > against the
          > > current root of the source library. Major functional,
          architectural
          > and
          > > design flaws are represented in this list, along with new
          > functionality.
          > > Like, we need to add additional indices to the workflow system
          > because of
          > > performance problems. Issues are in the product backlog, but they
          > don't yet
          > > represent work (unworkable backlog). For instance, an issue might
          > be that
          > > the workflow has inadequate performance for the volume of expected
          > usage.
          > > This isn't yet work (unworkable), but when it is thought about and
          > the work
          > > that will address it known (add more indices), the issue is

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Ken Schwaber
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2001
            Great, You get to write the backlog chapters of the next book!