Re: How to convince people of the Daily Scrum

  • Victor Szalvay
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hi there,

      Jumping in a bit late on this: I think it's difficult to sell the
      individual practices in Scrum standalone. They don't seem "efficient"
      and often may be seen as unpleasant. I've found that when people
      really "get" Scrum as a whole they are more open to the individual
      practices, often eager to do them to keep high visibility, etc.

      I remember reading Ken's black book way back when and I can still
      remember the "ah-ha!" moment. It was during the discussion on
      empirical vs. defined processes and why empirical methods are
      necessary in complex projects.

      Do your teammates really understand that scrum is a shift away from
      defined processes toward "empirically" inspecting and adapting to the
      complexities of the project? I'd start there because it tends to be
      liberating to be free of the defined-process shackles.

      Besides the book, the CSM course is a good way to really immerse in
      this thinking and come away charged up for doing Scrum.

      But I can certainly appreciate your situation in that it's tough
      trying to get people to change in a decent/good situation. If they
      like things the way they are and don't feel a need for change, maybe
      they should keep on doing what they are doing. Is that so bad if the
      results are good?

      -- Victor Szalvay
      http://danube.com/blog/victorszalvay