Re: Heroic effort to save a failing project

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 8, 2006
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Kane Mar" <kane_sfo@...> wrote:

      > Everything about this is a bad idea.
      >
      > Trying to rush a product before its time is always a bad idea...
      > This sounds like a Squirrel-Burger* to me!
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Kane Mar
      > W: http://www.Danube.com
      > B: http://KaneMar.Wordpress.com
      >
      > (*) For those not familiar with a Squirrel-Burger, it's an exercise
      > from Ken Schwaber's CSM course where he describes a scenario in which
      > a customer is sold a low quality product without being informed of the
      > risks involved.

      Hmmm, in this context I've discovered a new spin to the
      squirrel-burger story. There wasn't enough cash for meat, so the
      squirrel got served up instead. Cheaper, right? NOT for the squirrel...

      In a Death March project, are the developers being "served up" ?

      deb

      -----------------------

      In case there is interest, here is some reference material to help in
      dealing with a boss in a death march situation:

      From Ron Jeffries: Impact of Overtime on Productivity
      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/jatSustainablePace.htm#N34
      (perhaps Ron already pointed this out... didn't read the whole thread)

      and

      Mark Hedlund has a favourite story: he tells of the BigBook Technique,
      a simple ploy engineers once used to communicate with their CEO about
      a death-march project. With yet another big-project implosion in the
      news, Hedlund felt the need to roll out this simple remedy, again. In
      effect: nine women simply cannot deliver a baby in one month. If that
      sounds familiar, this story may be of use to you.
      http://www.infoq.com/news/The-BigBook-Technique

      and

      My Jan 2006 New Year's wish for my colleagues on this list:
      http://vitalbrew.blogspot.com/2005/12/on-passion-and-sustainable-pace.html

      and, finally, a picture is worth a thousand words

      Something a little different on Work-Life Balance
      http://vitalbrew.blogspot.com/2006/02/something-little-different-on-work.html

      now, go and be happy and sensible :-)
      best of luck!
      deb