Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agility and CMBoK? (was Re: IEEE SWEBOK Is Looking for Reviewers--They Don't Even Mention XP, Agile, etc.)

    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 3, 2003
      On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 1:13:23 PM, Brad Appleton wrote:

      >> Perhaps we mean a guide to the Agile Body of Knowledge? :)

      > Hmmn - an AgileBoK?

      Verrrry Interesting ...

      Bang, bang, Jeffries' silver hammer came down upon their heads ...
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 6, 2003
        From: Fabian Ritzmann [mailto:usefri@...]
        > Need to bring this back on topic for this list. :-)

        Oh, I don't know -- we are still sort of on topic.

        > --- Fabian Ritzmann <usefri@...> wrote:
        > XP as I understand it uses unit tests and system
        > tests, unit tests for unit testing and system tests for
        > whatever the users want to test, including quality
        > aspects like performance, reliability, etc.

        We call tests by the user "acceptance tests" or ATs.

        I think this is a valid definition across XP and
        Scrum but I don't know if other agile methods call
        them the same way.

        Fabian wrote:
        >The principle problem is that provable (and executable)
        >specifications don't help if the specification is wrong.
        >And we all know that specifications always change,
        >that's why we do Scrum or another Agile development
        >method. Of course that shouldn't keep anybody from
        >improving the way we are programming these days.

        True. In our view, the need for acceptance tests
        conducted through people-2-people interaction
        never goes away for the exact reasons you list
        (and regardless the programming styles used):

        - making sure that the specification is not wrong
        - making sure that we keep up with changes
        for the specification
        - making sure that the user experience is
        comfortable i.e. timely, convenient, beautiful, etc.

        It is just easier, faster and even more economical
        in some paradigms of programming to do the above
        3 things,

        - Mike