Agility and CMBoK? (was Re: IEEE SWEBOK Is Looking for Reviewers--They Don't Even Mention XP, Agile, etc.)

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 37 , Jun 3, 2003
      On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 09:06:08AM -0600, Mike Cohn wrote:
      > There's a difference, however, between mentioning agile methods and writing
      > a body of knowledge that has some implicit assumptions about Big Design
      > Upfront. I would think our body of knowledge should include mention that Big
      > Design Upfront doesn't work--even if there is no explicit mention of
      > anything agile.
      >
      > Perhaps we mean a guide to the Agile Body of Knowledge? :)

      Hmmn - an AgileBoK?

      On an (only somewhat) related note, a configuration-management WIki-web was started about a year ago and some folks voluntarily took it upon themselves to attempt to document a CM Body of Knowledge (or CMBoK). I don't think they intent certification (at least not yet - tho they did model it after the organization of the PMI's PMBOK).

      There is a section of it that talks about contribution to CM from other areas and methods, and which speaks specifically about contributions from Agile development, XP, SCRUM, and RAD. These are all still "in progress" of course and some parts or obviously incomplete. (one of the sections was taken from an email posting of mine to a related mailing list wondering what the heck this agile-stuff was and how does it relate to CM, and is it anything new or just old wine in new skins).

      Those wanting to look at it and make clarification/corrections/additions or comments can do so at their leisure (it's a wiki after all) at:
      http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cgi-bin/cmwiki/bin/view.cgi/CM/CMBoKContributions

    • Mike Beedle
      Message 37 of 37 , Jun 6, 2003