Big Picture at the Daily Scrum

  • Ronica Roth
    Message 1 of 65 , Jun 1, 2006
      In the Burndown Chart discussion, Victor Szalvay < victor@...> wrote:
       If the team wants a trendline then again I think
      something is wrong because the team is asking for a crutch to tell
      them how things will turn out in the sprint.  In my experience, Scrum
      teams know how they are doing each day if there are well-run daily
      scrum meetings and generally good communication across the team.

      Which helped me finally nail down a question I've been trying to formulate. Our daily scrums have improved to the point where the team is communicating with one another (not at the scrummaster), and members are faithfully reporting what they did, will do, and problems. But I don't feel like they have any sense of whether they will succeed in completing the iteration. Despite burndown charts and the iteration dashboard (we use Rally), the amount of work *not* getting accomplished by the end of iteration always seems a huge surprise.

      How can one improve the team's sense of the big picture, as well as the urgency/commitment around completing the iteration?

      -Ronica

      --
      ---------------------)'(---------------------
      ironica99 (at) gmail (dot) com aka ronicaroth (at) earthlink (dot) net

    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 65 of 65 , Jun 11, 2006
        > On Friday, June 9, 2006, at 7:49:00 AM, Hubert Smits wrote:
        >
        >> Ain't you also working down to zero /in a Sprint/? I have x folks who
        >> have y days remaining in the sprint, so I can burn x times y days. If
        >> the amount of work at any given day exceeds this number I have
        >> something to think about. I have to add though: I am thinking from
        >> 'pure scrum' perspective - no change of scope during the sprint.
        >
        > Don't your teams add and remove tasks during the sprint? Or are you
        > burning backlog items, even though the team is working tasks?

        I'm not Hubert, but *we* are definitely burning *and working* backlog items.
        We still use tasks for estimation, and they seem to be helpful; but when we
        try to work them, we almost invariably find that we need to break down the
        work differently from the breakdown for estimation, and that we can't really
        plan how to break the work itself down into meaningful tasks.

        Perhaps it's just us...

        Cheers, Ilja

        --
        "Information Radiation in Practice -
        Communication Tools for Colocated Teams"

        Tutorial at the XP2006 conference, Oulu
        www.xp2006.org
        17.06.2006