RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Do you count weekends in your burn down chart?

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 1, 2006
      >>> I agree with most of what you're saying, and differ only in that
      >>> drawing a trendline implies something *for* the team, rather than
      >>> letting the team interpret the state of sprint for themselves.
      >>
      >> I don't understand what you are getting at. Could you please
      >> elaborate?
      >>
      > Assuming we are talking about a simple, linear trendline and
      > not a weighted one that takes other burn down charts into
      > account, the trendline is just a rather inaccurate
      > representation on a mathematical level where you are right
      > that moment.

      Well, that assumption was wrong, as I hope is already obvious from my other
      posts. I'm talking about a trend line that is drawn *by* the team. Where I
      missing some context of this thread?

      > Usually the confidence value will be quite high
      > because we tend to get roughly the same amount of work done
      > every day (I said roughly), however that should not fool you
      > into thiking the amount of data you have collected is nearly
      > enough to make a sensible projection. And most techies would know
      > that?

      Most techies I know do know that an extrapolation is just that - an
      extrapolation. Most of them have a rather strong gut feel about whether a
      trend line does look reasonable or not. And those that don't probably learn
      it rather fast, by experience.

      You seem to be aware of all those limitations of the trend line, so I
      probably wouldn't be very concerned about teams that have you as a member.
      Should I?

      Curious, Ilja

      --
      "Information Radiation in Practice -
      Communication Tools for Colocated Teams"

      Tutorial at the XP2006 conference, Oulu
      www.xp2006.org
      17.06.2006
    • Nicholas Cancelliere
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 24, 2006
        I do not unless your team is planning on working weekends all the time, and lets hope not!  :-)

        -Nick