RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Do you count weekends in your burn down chart?

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 1 8:36 AM
      > You're right! I don't like any metrics being performed at
      > the sprint task level, especially one like this that tries to
      > extrapolate whether a team will be done with their sprint work.

      And still the team needs to know whether it is likely to make the sprint
      goal. Are you suggesting that the extrapolation won't typically help them?

      > One of the ways Scrum/Agile differentiates from traditional
      > project management is a focus on what I'll call "macro"
      > metrics instead of "micro" metrics.

      I'm not sure I agree with that view.

      > Focusing metrics at the
      > micro (or task) level causes a variety of problems in Scrum
      > teams.

      I agree that metrics can cause that kind of problems. I'm going to suggest,
      though, that that's more a problem of how the metrics are treated, than an
      intrinsic problem of the metrics themself.

      > There is the principle that "you get what you
      > measure", and if your metric is sub-optimum then teams will
      > start performing to this sub-optimum metric.

      That's true if you use the metric in a motivational way. In my experience,
      it is possible - and valuable - to use metrics in a more informational way.
      The book "Measuring and Managing Performance in Organizations" has a lot of
      interesting things to say on that topic.

      In fact in my experience a healthy team will even resist a motivational
      metric, at least for some time. I would be concerned about a team that
      didn't discuss at there retrospectives whether a metric really helped them
      with their work.

      > So the question
      > is "in Agile/Scrum, what would be the best metric"?

      I don't think that there is "a best metric". What is a good metric depends
      on what your current problem is. And when you need to know halfway into a
      sprint whether you will reach the sprint goal at the end, a trendline can be
      a valuable tool.

      It's still just a tool that needs to be interpreted in the context of
      everything else we know, of course.

      > Most
      > Agilists believe that metric to be the rate at which the
      > product is actually produced (velocity). That's why in Scrum
      > the team should be measured by whether or not they meet
      > sprint goals (think product backlog item level or higher)
      > since the sprint goals should always represent tangible
      > progress on the product.

      Let me stress again that I'm not talking about using the trend line to
      measure the team against.

      > Check out Mike Cohn's new book on Agile Estimating and Planning for
      > more on this.

      It's already on my reading list.

      Cheers, Ilja

      --
      "Information Radiation in Practice -
      Communication Tools for Colocated Teams"

      Tutorial at the XP2006 conference, Oulu
      www.xp2006.org
      17.06.2006
    • Nicholas Cancelliere
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 24 11:46 AM
        I do not unless your team is planning on working weekends all the time, and lets hope not!  :-)

        -Nick