Re: Do you count weekends in your burn down chart?

  • Victor Szalvay
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:

      > > > I agree with most of what you're saying, and differ only in
      > > > that drawing a trendline implies something *for* the team,
      > > > rather than letting the team interpret the state of sprint
      > > > for themselves.
      > >
      > > I don't understand what you are getting at. Could you please
      elaborate?

      > Assuming we are talking about a simple, linear trendline and not a
      > weighted one that takes other burn down charts into account, the
      > trendline is just a rather inaccurate representation on a mathematical
      > level where you are right that moment. Usually the confidence value
      > will be quite high because we tend to get roughly the same amount of
      > work done every day (I said roughly), however that should not fool you
      > into thiking the amount of data you have collected is nearly enough to
      > make a sensible projection. And most techies would know that?
      >
      > -d

      David has done a nice job clarifying my point. I don't like metrics
      at the sprint task level at all, especially metrics that try to imply
      whether the team is going to finish the sprint *for them*. This
      should be a call the team makes considering the history of the sprint
      to date (recorded as the burndown), what is left to do, and the
      risk/uncertainty impacting the sprint currently.

      If the ScrumMaster wants to draw a trendline then I would be
      suspicious about the liberties they are taking in making assumptions
      from that trendline. If the team wants a trendline then again I think
      something is wrong because the team is asking for a crutch to tell
      them how things will turn out in the sprint. In my experience, Scrum
      teams know how they are doing each day if there are well-run daily
      scrum meetings and generally good communication across the team.

      -- Victor
    • Nicholas Cancelliere
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 24, 2006
        I do not unless your team is planning on working weekends all the time, and lets hope not!  :-)

        -Nick