The Scrum Alliance

  • Bryan Zarnett
    Message 1 of 23 , May 23, 2003
      Hi Everyone,

      Over the past several months, here in Toronto we have been discussing
      a SIG for Scrum. Based on our experiences with a few user groups we
      started here in Toronto, we would take all the things that went
      wrong, the lessons we learned and make a better attempt at a more
      professional and unique group for Scrum promotion and education.

      Over the course of our ScrumMaster certification and our time with
      Ken, other ideas started to formulate. Over dinner the initial idea
      was presented to the Toronto ScrumMaster group and further ideas
      accumulated. Over the last day I have put those ideas to gether in a
      brief format that I would like to present to the Scrum Community.

      Ken has given his blessing and some additional ideas which I have
      included in this e-mail. Please have a read through the section
      below. My closing remarks and wishes are also included.
      ---
      ** The Scrum Alliance

      The Scrum Alliance is a non-profit organization focused on the
      promotion, education, and development of the Scrum Agile methodology
      and related practices. The Scrum Alliance is a Professional User
      Group organized through the international collaboration of certified
      Scrum Masters. Through the Scrum Alliance, individuals will be able
      to obtain the latest information on scrum, educational material
      organized for different professional definitions (business analysts,
      developers, CTO, etc.), and access to research material and
      statistics. The Scrum Alliance also promotes the Scrum Master
      certification, the ScrumMaster gathering, international Scrum
      Alliance chapters, and the Scrum Conference.

      * ScrumMaster Gathering
      Held yearly, the "gathering" is a unique "conference", open to all
      individuals who are ranked as a ScrumMaster certification. The
      Gathering is intended to be a collection of minds and experiences,
      organized to communicate and document changing ideas, practices - to
      communicate individual experiences and current explorations.
      Information obtained from this gathering will be used to promote
      additional research and concepts into the Scrum methodology.

      * Scrum Conference
      A yearly conference to education individuals of all career paths in
      Scrum and related practices and processes. The Scrum Conference is
      designed not as a technical conference but an experience-oriented
      series of presentations for people to better understand the
      development of IT solutions and leadership practices presented using
      real-world examples.

      * The Promotion of Research
      The Scrum Alliance will promote to the best of its ability, research
      into Agile practices, processes and areas of influence to better
      improve the body of knowledge available.

      * Scrum Alliance Chapters
      Scrum Alliance promotes the ideas of chapters - regions of
      professional groups that promote Scrum through regional ScrumMasters
      in a proper and intellectual manner. The body of knowledge and
      experiences from the various chapters is promoted into the Scrum
      Alliance, available to all individuals. Some material will be
      discussed and refined into the Scrum methodology itself.

      Several key ideas promoted by the Scrum Alliance and required by its
      chapters are as follows:
      1. Each chapter must have at least three certified Scrum Masters
      2. Active participation of its members are required. The Scrum
      Alliance is about quality over quantity
      3. The communication of activities to other Scrum Alliance Chapters
      4. The development of backlog topics for discussion at Scrum Alliance
      Chapter meetings.
      5. The accumulation of chapter backlogs into a Scrum Alliance backlog
      as a resource for all chapters
      6. "Daily Scrums" at meetings to determine what members have been
      doing between meetings, what they will do next meeting, and any
      impediments
      7. Transcripts of the meetings and events to help other chapters.

      The Scrum Alliance initially will provide the following:
      1. Materials on how to formulate and promote a Scrum Alliance Chapter
      2. Ideas on running a Scrum Alliance Chapter
      3. Scrum Alliance Backlog for use in meetings
      4. Transacts and media resources from completed "meeting sprints"
      related to the backlog
      5. Coordination of the ScrumMaster Gathering and the Scrum Conference

      Additional resources will be defined through the aid of other Scrum
      Alliance Chapters

      * The Accumulative Journal
      The Accumulative Journal is an on-line resource of Scrum Material
      presented in a collaborative, cross-reference engine similiar to a
      Wiki Wiki. The currently available methodology and other materials
      will be made available. ScrumMasters and apprentices will be able to
      add additional material to the growing body of knowledge. Currently,
      all journal changes will be approved by Ken prior to publication.

      * Additional Plans
      Two additional plans currently being defined are as follows:
      - The Message Summary: A weekly summary of the Scrum Message Board
      - Scrum Downloads: Availability of various Scrum based products
      including the latest Scrum product

      ----

      Ken included the following notes:

      1. Hold the ScrumMaster Gathering and the Scrum Conference one after
      the other.

      2. Start this as a program in the AgileAlliance, which immediately
      gives us the benefits of a non-profit and solves other sticky
      questions.

      3. Post this on ScrumDevelopment and get more feedback.

      I think this is all an excellent idea.

      My wish, and Ken's third note is about getting feedback. I would
      enjoy everyones input and thoughts into this. The idea behind the
      Scrum Alliance is that it is a self-organzing body of international
      representatives. It's a collaborative effort.

      I have already been asked why 3 Scrum Masters. The reasons is pretty
      simple - you ensure a collaborative environment of different
      viewpoints with people who have gone through the material with Ken.
      If one person has a wrong idea, the others can help out.

      For those who only have 1 or 2 Scrum Masters in the area, the idea
      would be that, Ken or someone else would sponser you. That sponser
      says "He's a great guy, of course! He will be fine" or the sponser
      says "Give him a chance, I will review his sprint signature from the
      meeting and chat with him over problems" In this manner the one
      person, or perhaps another whole chapter will help out as a sounding
      board. Of course this message board can be used as well. Because we
      publish a transscript of the meetings other people can see what you
      are doing, reflect, comment, and learn.

      Please, please comment freely (personnaly or to the group). In
      Toronto we will have our first meeting this June (10th I believe). If
      people are interested I will see what I can do about cheap internet-
      based video conferencing off my Mac.

      Thanks Everyone.

      Cheers,
      Bryan
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 23 , May 24, 2003
        Bryan--
        This sounds very interesting to me. I'd be interested in participating in
        this if enough others are.

        -Mike

        Message 3 of 23 , May 24, 2003
          Bryan,

          of course I'm interested (ScrumMaster certification class in June).

          >* ScrumMaster Gathering
          >* Scrum Conference

          speaking from my perspective (European): the tipical "problem" is that these interesting activities are 99% in USA. Maybe there will be opportunities to involve the new AgileAlliance Europe program to organize something also here :)

          >* Scrum Alliance Chapters

          I see great possibilities of interactions and contaminations between Agile Alliance User Groups (mainly XP oriented but not only) and Scrum Chapters around the world.

          >2. Start this as a program in the AgileAlliance, which immediately
          >gives us the benefits of a non-profit and solves other sticky
          >questions.

          absolutly agreed.

          Here I am, let me know

          P.S.: The name isn't really important (i mean: it comes after a lot of others thing) but it's a little bit "already heard". Maybe something like Scrum Network, ScrumMaster Network or anything else...

          Marco Abis - CEO & Chairman
          Agility SPI: Software Process Improvement
          abis@... - abis@...
          http://agilemovement.it
        • Bryan Zarnett
          Message 4 of 23 , May 25, 2003
            On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 06:14 AM, Mike Cohn wrote:

            > Bryan--
            > This sounds very interesting to me. I'd be interested in participating
            > in
            > this if enough others are.

            Well, I have put forward the proposal to the Agile Alliance to have a
            Professional User Group for Scrum as a program, and should hopefully
            hear more in a few days concerning its approval. I would hope that many
            of the certified Scrum Masters would be interesting in joining and
            attending such meanings since its goal and materials are intended to
            support them in the use of Scrum in their job. I know that will not
            necessarily be true though.

            In Toronto, we had 21 people interested from our Certification group
            and about 12 others interested from the XP/Agile Toronto group. I
            personally wish that all of them decide to attend our meetings, but I
            would be happy with 4 or 5 people as well.

            Regardless of quantity at this period of time, I'm pressing forward
            with it. The courage to start a user group, especially one with
            expected standards and output can be scary. But, sometimes you got to
            take that leap.

            Need to make some PIGS WANTED signs.

            Cheers,
            Bryan
          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 23 , May 25, 2003
              Bryan,
              I sent it out for vote today. I'll let you know the feedback by the end of the week. You're right, it is scary. But it is the right thing to do.
              Ken

                Message 7 of 23 , May 25, 2003

                  Hi All,

                  I should be back in Montreal , Canada very soon I will do what I can to assist, Toronto is pretty close afterall

                  Scott Worley

                   CTO, Agile Evangelist, Author Speaker, occasional drinker…

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 25, 2003
                    The list is already pretty big. I think that would be a nice idea --
                    also for networking. Maybe a "Everyone" list and a "region" list. Cause
                    more work for Ken :-D

                    In Toronto, at the end we created a big spreadsheet of e-mail addresses
                    to share with everyone. If you wanted to share your e-mail address you
                    wrote down your name. I should probably send that off.

                    On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 01:30 PM, db wrote:

                    > It may be helpful (if the people on the list don't object) to note
                    > where the people on the certified Scrum master list reside (e.g.
                    > Chicago, Albuquerque, Toronto, etc.).  That may help people determine
                    > if there is a quorum for a local chapter.  I'm sure we're covered
                    > within the Chicagoland area.
                    >
                    > scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                    >
                    > Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 04:14:10 -0600
                    > From: "Mike Cohn"
                    > Subject: RE: The Scrum Alliance
                    >
                    > Bryan--
                    > This sounds very interesting to me. I'd be interested in participating
                    > in
                    > this if enough others are.
                    >
                    > -Mike

                    <image.tiff>

                    > Do you Yahoo!?
                    <image.tiff>

                  • Bryan Zarnett
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 17, 2003
                      Hi Ken,

                      Sorry it took me a week to get back to you. I had a bunch of things to mull over since the last meeting. I thought to use the Toronto group as a model to determine some of the working aspects of the Scrum Alliance Chapters. Unfortunately, this has been a major failure considering my original intention of the Scrum Alliance program. The Alliance Program was developed to be defined as a professional user group concerning the promotion, education, and research of Scrum and related Agile Practices. Unfortunately, this message and its requirements have fell on deaf ears for the most part.

                      My assumption was that the smaller group that would form would have specific qualities and personality traits to promote a professional and communicative environment. Unfortunately, this has not been the case - the conversations in the meeting revolved around only a handful of people and these are the same individuals that participate in all conversations. This is less than half the user group.

                      Other individuals have not understood the "professional" aspect of the user group - an example being the suggestion to refer to the Toronto chapter as the "daredevils". Communication and professionalism were the foundations of the program and the implementation of each chapter.
                      Without those aspects, the program would be nothing more than a common user group.

                      At least one member of the group feels that having a seperate organization specifically for scrum is detrimental to the Agile movement. At this stage in the game, such fragmentation has me worried.

                      I am currently going to review the running aspects of how each chapter would work and then post the website up with some different information. Right now, I am in discussion with the key members about these issues and how we might be able to solve them.

                      Regards,
                      Bryan

                    • Bryan Zarnett
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 17, 2003
                        Well since today is acting like a Monday, and rather than just send the mail to Ken for comments, the Powers That Be had it go to everyone. Sorry about that.

                        Well, anyways, since its out there -- any comments would be appreciated.

                        Cheers,
                        Bryan
                      • Marc Hamann
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 17, 2003
                          >Well since today is acting like a Monday, and rather than just send the
                          >mail to Ken for comments, the Powers That Be had it go to everyone. Sorry
                          >about that.

                          My condolences on that Bryan. ;-)

                          >Well, anyways, since its out there -- any comments would be appreciated.

                          I think I will take the opportunity to ask a question that has been on my
                          mind for a while. What do people see as the purpose of such "user groups"?

                          I don't mean this facetiously; when most people have work, marriage, family
                          and friends, and hobbies competing for their time, it must fulfill some
                          compelling need to take on such a high commitment activity as physically
                          shifting oneself, potentially across the city, to meet up with
                          "like-minded" other professionals.

                          Having "lurked" a bit on the edge of a few of these over the years, the
                          conclusion I came to was that they fulfill mainly these functions:

                          1) career networking - contractors and consultants get the most of out of
                          this, it seems, unless the group is very well balanced between employers
                          and employees.

                          2) support group - if the group is for a "minority" technology, and one
                          spends ones days crying aloud in the wilderness, it can be reassuring to
                          see that you aren't the only one. Also a great opportunity to gripe.

                          3) "geek time" - if one is an isolated techie whose wife is sick of hearing
                          about computers, this can be some people's one time to let loose with full
                          geek abandon.

                          4) bragging time - in a world where our amazing technical accomplishments
                          go unappreciated, it is great to have an opportunity to give a presentation
                          on our brilliant insight to those that can appreciated it.

                          I think all of these are valid needs that people have, and a group that
                          fulfills all of these will be well attended and long-lived.

                          The problem that the ones I have seen have had is that they didn't seem to
                          realize that they were fulfilling these functions. They mainly seemed to
                          think that their purpose was to proselytize the technology (preaching to
                          the converted) or to spread information (when anyone can read the sales
                          brochures or the books just as easily at home) . Since these are not the
                          reasons that would get someone off the deck to come to a meeting, they
                          probably lead to frustration for the organizers.

                          Have I missed the boat on these things? Does anyone else have a different
                          sense of what they are for and what needs they fulfill?

                          Marc
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 17, 2003
                            On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 9:32:06 AM, Marc Hamann wrote:

                            > Have I missed the boat on these things? Does anyone else have a different
                            > sense of what they are for and what needs they fulfill?

                            How much would you pay for one good idea?

                            In times of stress, I like to turn to the wisdom of my Portuguese waitress,
                            who said: "Olá, meu nome é Marisol e eu serei sua garçonete."
                            -- after Mark Vaughn, Autoweek.
                          • Marc Hamann
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 17, 2003
                              At 01:30 PM 6/17/03, Ron Jeffries wrote:
                              >How much would you pay for one good idea?

                              Depends on the idea. ;-)

                              But seriously, isn't the "users group" that meets in person an awfully
                              expensive (time-wise) way to search for good ideas?

                              I mean, if you are already on umpteen mailing lists, you check out a
                              fistful of relevant blogs daily, you personally keep all the publishers of
                              the Agile-related books in business ;-) , do you need to trek across town
                              at a fixed, inconvenient time to go to an in-the-flesh meeting?

                              You could of course find the next great idea there, but that can't be what
                              makes you go, since there are so many more time-flexible alternatives.

                              Marc
                            • Deb
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 17, 2003
                                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Marc Hamann <marc@h...>
                                wrote:
                                >What do people see as the purpose of such "user groups"?
                                and
                                > They mainly seemed to
                                > think that their purpose was to proselytize the technology
                                (preaching to
                                > the converted) or to spread information (when anyone can read the
                                sales
                                > brochures or the books just as easily at home) . Since these are
                                not the
                                > reasons that would get someone off the deck to come to a meeting,
                                they
                                > probably lead to frustration for the organizers.

                                Right now many of us feel the need to move beyond geek-speak and
                                develop for ourselves the skills to sell Agile/Scrum to those who
                                will invariably quash it, if they don't see its value... management.
                                Although there are starting to be articles out there addressing this,
                                we don't feel they're easily accessible to non-IT people. And we
                                definitely don't plan to preach to the converted - AgileAlliance.com,
                                controlchaos.com and company provide excellent resources for that
                                already.

                                Actually, I'm not sure this is really a "user group" (speaking as a
                                member of Scrum Alliance Toronto Chapter). Given that our objectives
                                are Educate, Research, Promote - it's more of a SIG (special interest
                                group), with a definite outward-facing aspect. In addition, having
                                some rather specific membership rules, it's not sufficient to be a
                                hanger-on just so you can brag or list it on a resume... without
                                *active* participation membership is terminated. If you're not
                                interested in studying, promoting or teaching Scrum you probably
                                won't last long there - this means that those using Scrum at work and
                                only interested in listening in for their own benefit will have to
                                find another venue - which is entirely valid. Perhaps such a more
                                general "user group" will develop, too. Maybe I'll found it, once I
                                feel the "proselytising" is well under way :-)

                                And you may be right that lack of focus is a frustration factor for
                                organisers... this is a 2nd generation group, in that its organisers
                                have learned many of the lessons you cite the hard way, in a prior
                                group that lacked such focus. We've purposely narrowed the scope and
                                modus operandi of this group, as a result ...

                                > I don't mean this facetiously; when most people have work,
                                marriage, family
                                > and friends, and hobbies competing for their time, it must fulfill
                                some
                                > compelling need to take on such a high commitment ...

                                So you see, one motivation is survival: I believe in this approach, I
                                want to work in it, so I invest in promoting so that it thrives -
                                hopefully to my own advantage at some time in the future. Wouldn't it
                                be nice to be able to filter for job listings that ask for experience
                                in Agile methodologies or Scrum? To get this, we need to bring it
                                into the mainstream, out of geekland. And to do that, we need to
                                learn to speak Customer-ese.
                                Another motivation, at least for me is altruistic: I hate some of the
                                destructive project management methodologies I've seen, and would
                                love to supplant them with more humane ones, like Scrum. Call me an
                                idealist.
                                These two motivations make it worth missing Six Feet Under, or
                                whatever is playing on HBO on Tuesday nights.

                                Thanks for your question. Hope this was informative and not too much
                                like a rant - I just came from a great XPToronto meeting and am a bit
                                hyped!
                                :-)
                                deb
                              • Bryan Zarnett
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 18, 2003
                                  On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 01:19 AM, Deb wrote:

                                  > Actually, I'm not sure this is really a "user group" (speaking as a
                                  > member of Scrum Alliance Toronto Chapter). Given that our objectives
                                  > are Educate, Research, Promote - it's more of a SIG (special interest
                                  > group), with a definite outward-facing aspect. In addition, having
                                  > some rather specific membership rules, it's not sufficient to be a
                                  > hanger-on just so you can brag or list it on a resume... without
                                  > *active* participation membership is terminated. If you're not
                                  > interested in studying, promoting or teaching Scrum you probably
                                  > won't last long there - this means that those using Scrum at work and
                                  > only interested in listening in for their own benefit will have to
                                  > find another venue - which is entirely valid. Perhaps such a more
                                  > general "user group" will develop, too. Maybe I'll found it, once I
                                  > feel the "proselytising" is well under way :-)

                                  The Scrum Alliance program and the chapters are not a user group and
                                  not a SIG per say either. Its a professional collaboration. The
                                  Alliance program is not intended for everyone - its focus is a
                                  professional group of individuals that want to educate themselves and
                                  others, promote Scrum, and provide research. Its intended as a
                                  dedicated and active group of participants.

                                  The alliance is not for the individuals who just want to sit back and
                                  here about Scrum. Its for those individuals who want to be Scrum
                                  Masters. Those individuals who want to be leaders in showing how and
                                  why Scrum work, and how it can be used properly. We have an internal
                                  audience and an external audience. The internal audience is those
                                  individuals that want to do research-education-promotion, while the
                                  external audience is the corporate community that includes developers,
                                  but also business analysts, CTOs, etc.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Bryan
                                • Marc Hamann
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 18, 2003
                                    >Right now many of us feel the need to move beyond geek-speak and
                                    >develop for ourselves the skills to sell Agile/Scrum to those who
                                    >will invariably quash it, if they don't see its value... management.

                                    Well, since the Certified Scrum Master Course last month, I've been doing
                                    my part there. Anyone I know who might be interested has gotten the spiel
                                    at least twice. ;-)

                                    The process of explaining Scrum to people who haven't studied Scrum, and
                                    dealing with their objections, has been helpful. It confirms and refines
                                    my internalization of the principles, and also started me thinking about
                                    the bigger problems of leadership and effectiveness that Scrum addresses.

                                    Not to say that something might be gained by a formal group, but couldn't
                                    those goals be achieved in this more informal way as well?

                                    >So you see, one motivation is survival: I believe in this approach, I
                                    >want to work in it, so I invest in promoting so that it thrives -
                                    >hopefully to my own advantage at some time in the future. Wouldn't it
                                    >be nice to be able to filter for job listings that ask for experience
                                    >in Agile methodologies or Scrum?

                                    Through what specific activities does the Scrum Alliance advance this cause?

                                    > To get this, we need to bring it
                                    >into the mainstream, out of geekland. And to do that, we need to
                                    >learn to speak Customer-ese.

                                    When you want to learn a new language, the best way to is spend time with
                                    native speakers. ;-)
                                    To that end joining one of the businessmens' clubs might be more effective.
                                    ;-)

                                    I'm only half joking, though. One of the things that non-techie customers
                                    hold against us is that we are too prone to over-enthusiasm for the latest
                                    technology/methodology/language that is going to save the world, but which
                                    doesn't achieve what they want.

                                    This is one of the subtle things about Scrum that I took away from the
                                    course: Don't emphasize the methods; emphasize the results every 30 days.
                                    That is the part the customer cares about. All the other details of the
                                    methodology are the judo by which this is accomplished.

                                    >Thanks for your question. Hope this was informative and not too much
                                    >like a rant - I just came from a great XPToronto meeting and am a bit
                                    >hyped!

                                    No rant at all! Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I guess you are
                                    implicitly arguing that enthusiasm is one of the benefits of membership in
                                    a group. ;-)

                                    Marc
                                  • Linda Rising
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 18, 2003
                                      Hi Guys,

                                      Mary Lynn Manns and I have written a collection of patterns for introducing new ideas into
                                      organizations. One of the patterns is called -- A Shoulder to Cry On -- where Evangelists for
                                      a new idea gather with others who are struggling to introduce the new idea -- to share
                                      experiences -- successes and failures. The pattern references a book by Oldenberg. He
                                      speaks of the need in a community for a "third place," other than home or work --  a friendly,
                                      neutral spot where people gather to relax and talk and take a break from everyday life.
                                      In Europe, of course, pubs provide this :-)! but in the U.S. we have user groups :-)!

                                      Here's the almost-up-to-date version of the patterns:

                                      http://www.cs.unca.edu/~manns/intropatterns.html

                                      Enjoy!

                                      Linda

                                      Marc Hamann wrote:
[...]

                                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/9EfwlB/TM

                                    • Deb
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 18, 2003
                                        wrote:
                                        > >So you see, one motivation is survival: I believe in this
                                        approach, I
                                        > >want to work in it, so I invest in promoting so that it thrives -
                                        > >hopefully to my own advantage at some time in the future. Wouldn't
                                        it
                                        > >be nice to be able to filter for job listings that ask for
                                        experience
                                        > >in Agile methodologies or Scrum?
                                        >
                                        > Through what specific activities does the Scrum Alliance advance
                                        this cause?

                                        If we succeed in promoting Scrum (one of our aims), so it becomes a
                                        recognised, reputable methodology in Toronto, I will be able to find
                                        interesting work here, and contribute to something I believe in, yet
                                        again! (what's the opposite of a *vicious* circle?)

                                        Activities? We've listed brown-bag lunch talks (lunch-and-learn);
                                        visiting other discussion groups (ex: attendance this month at a CIPS
                                        [Computer Info. Processing Society?] meeting where Scrum was
                                        presented, but the presenter did not know about us yet); elevator
                                        talks to anyone who will listen (like you're doing! yay Marc);
                                        presenting at Agile conferences; and I guess it would be even better
                                        to present at more general conferences; making speakers available to
                                        businesses or groups, with a standard spiel, via the ScrumAlliance
                                        website; and an area of the ScrumAlliance site itself, aimed at NON-
                                        IT folks. So now you know (some of) what's on our Backlog.

                                        > > To get this, we need to bring it
                                        > >into the mainstream, out of geekland. And to do that, we need to
                                        > >learn to speak Customer-ese.
                                        >
                                        > When you want to learn a new language, the best way to is spend
                                        time with
                                        > native speakers. ;-)
                                        > To that end joining one of the businessmens' clubs might be more
                                        effective.
                                        > ;-)

                                        I think this is a very good point. I hope I remember to bring it up
                                        at our next Scrum Alliance meeting. I suspect there'd be no takers,
                                        though... now why is that? Is my perception skewed: that such a
                                        meeting would be less passionate and interesting than a geek fest?
                                      • Rick Innis
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 18, 2003
                                          On Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003, at 14:33 Canada/Eastern, Deb wrote:

                                          >> When you want to learn a new language, the best way to is spend time
                                          >> with
                                          >> native speakers. ;-)
                                          >> To that end joining one of the businessmens' clubs might be more
                                          >> effective. ;-)
                                          >
                                          > I think this is a very good point. I hope I remember to bring it up
                                          > at our next Scrum Alliance meeting.

                                          I've added this to the backlog.

                                          > I suspect there'd be no takers, though...

                                          I'm willing to check into this, though I suspect I'd need some back-up
                                          when it came to delivering messages.

                                          > now why is that? Is my perception skewed: that such a
                                          > meeting would be less passionate and interesting than a geek fest?

                                          It's definitely a different audience requiring a different approach
                                          than a geek audience. However, the value in reaching this audience is
                                          that they're more likely the product owner. Or possibly even the
                                          product owner's owner :-)

                                          --Rick.
                                        • Robert Henley
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 18, 2003
                                            --- Deb wrote:
                                            > ... (what's the opposite of a *vicious* circle?)

                                            A "virtuous circle", although I prefer the phrase "upward spiral" myself.
                                            Good luck with the Alliance!

                                            Robert Henley
                                            Certified Scrum Master
                                            Software Architect & Engineer
                                            Java/J2EE, XML, and Web Applications
                                          • Scott Worley (PI)
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 18, 2003

                                              Hi Deb,

                                              I return to Montreal on the 17th of July for 4 weeks, and also plan to stop in Toronto . It would be nice to meet the User group you have running, and particioate, maybe even pass on some insights I have had using Scrum techniques in China, where I spend most of my time these days. I should emphasize not all my work with Scrum is development based J

                                              Scott Worley

                                                Evangelist to East Asia on Agile Methodologies and .NET

                                                (most people have drive and commitment, I have VISION.)

                                              > >So you see, one motivation is survival: I believe in this
                                              approach, I
                                              > >want to work in it, so I invest in promoting so that it thrives -
                                              > >hopefully to my own advantage at some time in the future. Wouldn't
                                              it
                                              > >be nice to be able to filter for job listings that ask for
                                              experience
                                              > >in Agile methodologies or Scrum?
                                              >
                                              > Through what specific activities does the Scrum Alliance advance
                                              this cause?

                                              If we succeed in promoting Scrum (one of our aims), so it becomes a
                                              recognised, reputable methodology in Toronto , I will be able to find
                                              interesting work here, and contribute to something I believe in, yet
                                              again! (what's the opposite of a *vicious* circle?)

                                              Activities? We've listed brown-bag lunch talks (lunch-and-learn);
                                              visiting other discussion groups (ex: attendance this month at a CIPS
                                              [Computer Info. Processing Society?] meeting where Scrum was
                                              presented, but the presenter did not know about us yet); elevator
                                              talks to anyone who will listen (like you're doing! yay Marc);
                                              presenting at Agile conferences; and I guess it would be even better
                                              to present at more general conferences; making speakers available to
                                              businesses or groups, with a standard spiel, via the ScrumAlliance
                                              website; and an area of the ScrumAlliance site itself, aimed at NON-
                                              IT folks. So now you know (some of) what's on our Backlog.

                                              > >  To get this, we need to bring it
                                              > >into the mainstream, out of geekland. And to do that, we need to
                                              > >learn to speak Customer-ese.
                                              >
                                              > When you want to learn a new language, the best way to is spend
                                              time with
                                              > native speakers. ;-)
                                              > To that end joining one of the businessmens' clubs might be more
                                              effective.
                                              > ;-)

                                              I think this is a very good point. I hope I remember to bring it up
                                              at our next Scrum Alliance meeting. I suspect there'd be no takers,
                                              though... now why is that? Is my perception skewed: that such a
                                              meeting would be less passionate and interesting than a geek fest?

                                            • bannerma
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 27, 2003
                                                Brian, All,

                                                I read through this thread and realize that you hadn't intended the
                                                public distribution (just yet). However, one part caught my eye:

                                                > * The Promotion of Research
                                                > The Scrum Alliance will promote to the best of its ability,
                                                research
                                                > into Agile practices, processes and areas of influence to better
                                                > improve the body of knowledge available.

                                                I'm not sure if this "Scrum Alliance" is already in place or just in
                                                the planning stage, but I'm interested in participating in this
                                                aspect of it.

                                                Cheers
                                              • Bryan Zarnett
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 27, 2003
                                                  On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 05:45 AM, bannerma wrote:

                                                  > I'm not sure if this "Scrum Alliance" is already in place or just in
                                                  > the planning stage, but I'm interested in participating in this
                                                  > aspect of it.

                                                  The Scrum Alliance concept has evolved from its initial inception while
                                                  maintaining the same goals. Sometime next week the initial website will
                                                  be published and notification will be made to this list. The website
                                                  will be composed of two sections - a general information section and a
                                                  section for certified Scrum Masters which requires a user-name and
                                                  password.

                                                  The new format is based on the Agile Alliance with its "programs".
                                                  Some of the key programs we are putting forward initially are:

                                                  * Education - providing methods of teaching and providing information
                                                  on Scrum in a manner that can be easily understand and properly
                                                  interpreted.

                                                  * Promotion - marketing of Scrum to various levels of business and
                                                  organizations

                                                  * Conference - the formation of the Scrum conference and the associated
                                                  Certified Scrum Master Gathering

                                                  * Open Source - using Scrum for open source development and the
                                                  management of Scrum related open source projects

                                                  * Virtual Scrum - use of Scrum with distributed teams in cross
                                                  continental locations

                                                  Those are just really ruff summaries. Additional programs can be
                                                  created by Certified Scrum Masters and membership to existing programs
                                                  is available to Certified Scrum Masters.

                                                  As mentioned, the Alliance will have two faces:

                                                  1. The public face which provides general information about Scrum and
                                                  the Scrum Certifications
                                                  2. The Certified SM face which provides the latest versions of the
                                                  methodology and programs for the furtherment of Scrum.

                                                  If you take the Certification you are already a member of the Scrum
                                                  Alliance and a user-id and initial password will be generated and
                                                  e-mailed to you.

                                                  Quick summary. Hope it helps. Please feel free to e-mail me with any
                                                  questions or comments.

                                                  Cheers,
                                                  Bryan