Re: [scrumdevelopment] Help Planning Sprints

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2006
      Bill,

      What problems are you currently having that are motivating you to switch to Scrum?

      I ask because sprinting may force some changes in your current business acceptance and delivery patterns that would only make sense if the tradeoff is that more critical problems are being addressed.

      Steven Gordon

      On 5/3/06, Koscho, William <william.koscho@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone,

      I need some advice / help on planning our sprints.  We usually have about 5 or 6 small projects going on at any time.  Some projects are less than 40 hours of work, while others are around 150 hours of work.  Our company is known by its clients for its quick turn-around on projects, and we therefore release the software as soon as it is ready.  So, if one of these projects is only 35 hours of work, we release it to our client in 1 week 's time, while the larger projects may get released after 3 or 4 weeks of work.

      My question is how do I plan this in a sprint backlog?

      It seems like overkill to have a different backlog for every project, because some of these projects are only 10 hours or 30 hours.  But to put them all in one backlog has its own problems, because each project has a different release day ( i.e. a different sprint duration).

      Any advice on how to handle this?

      Thanks

      Bill Koscho

    • news.gmane.org
      Message 2 of 13 , May 4, 2006
        Hi Bill

        I think it is a mistake to assume that you can only deliver at the
        termination of a sprint, or start a project at the beginning of a
        sprint. We put backlog items in like "Deliver XYZ to ABC in the first
        week of the sprint", "Write proposal for project XYZ", or "Produce
        detailed costing because ABC mandates it". This way you can 'migrate'
        existing project structure into Scrum

        Cheers

        Daniel

        Koscho, William wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I need some advice / help on planning our sprints. We usually have
        > about 5 or 6 small projects going on at any time. Some projects are
        > less than 40 hours of work, while others are around 150 hours of work.
        > Our company is known by its clients for its quick turn-around on
        > projects, and we therefore release the software as soon as it is ready.
        > So, if one of these projects is only 35 hours of work, we release it to
        > our client in 1 week’s time, while the larger projects may get released
        > after 3 or 4 weeks of work.
        >
        > My question is how do I plan this in a sprint backlog?
        >
        > It seems like overkill to have a different backlog for every project,
        > because some of these projects are only 10 hours or 30 hours. But to
        > put them all in one backlog has its own problems, because each project
        > has a different release day (i.e. a different sprint duration).
        >
        > Any advice on how to handle this?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bill Koscho

        > Scrum
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scrum&w1=Scrum&c=1&s=11&.sig=KvDTKhw7ncC9XbB25jdApQ>

      • William J. Koscho
        Message 3 of 13 , May 18, 2006
          We currently do not have any process in place and we have a lot of
          tasks going on for different projects and there is no central place
          to view everything that needs to be done and view how much is left
          to do.

          We looked at the backlog as the tool to provide this information to
          us, and this is really the true driver that will show tasks that are
          done, in progress, and not started.

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Gordon"
          <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > What problems are you currently having that are motivating you to
          switch to
          > Scrum?
          >
          > I ask because sprinting may force some changes in your current
          business
          > acceptance and delivery patterns that would only make sense if the
          tradeoff
          > is that more critical problems are being addressed.
          >
          > Steven Gordon
          >

          > On 5/3/06, Koscho, William <william.koscho@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > I need some advice / help on planning our sprints. We usually
          have about 5
          > > or 6 small projects going on at any time. Some projects are
          less than 40
          > > hours of work, while others are around 150 hours of work. Our
          company is
          > > known by its clients for its quick turn-around on projects, and
          we therefore
          > > release the software as soon as it is ready. So, if one of
          these projects
          > > is only 35 hours of work, we release it to our client in 1
          week's time,
          > > while the larger projects may get released after 3 or 4 weeks of
          work.

          > > My question is how do I plan this in a sprint backlog?
          > >
          > > It seems like overkill to have a different backlog for every
          project,
          > > because some of these projects are only 10 hours or 30 hours.
          But to put
          > > them all in one backlog has its own problems, because each
          project has a
          > > different release day (i.e. a different sprint duration).
          > >
          > > Any advice on how to handle this?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Bill Koscho

        • William J. Koscho
          Message 4 of 13 , May 18, 2006
            In our case, we will deliver the final product to customer 1 after
            one week's time and a different final product to customer 2 after 30
            day's time. So, if everything is in one backlog, by burndown chart
            is not truely accurate for each customer.

            I was thinking, that I may have one backlog and add a column
            indicating the customer. Then on my burndown I can have one chart,
            with different burndown graphs, one for each client.

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "news.gmane.org"
            <mr.d.poon@...> wrote:

            > Hi Bill
            >
            > I think it is a mistake to assume that you can only deliver at the
            > termination of a sprint, or start a project at the beginning of a
            > sprint. We put backlog items in like "Deliver XYZ to ABC in the
            first
            > week of the sprint", "Write proposal for project XYZ", or "Produce
            > detailed costing because ABC mandates it". This way you
            can 'migrate'
            > existing project structure into Scrum
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Daniel
            >
            > Koscho, William wrote:
            > > Hi everyone,
            > >
            > > I need some advice / help on planning our sprints. We usually
            have
            > > about 5 or 6 small projects going on at any time. Some projects
            are
            > > less than 40 hours of work, while others are around 150 hours of
            work.
            > > Our company is known by its clients for its quick turn-around on
            > > projects, and we therefore release the software as soon as it is
            ready.
            > > So, if one of these projects is only 35 hours of work, we
            release it to
            > > our client in 1 week's time, while the larger projects may get
            released
            > > after 3 or 4 weeks of work.
            > >
            > > My question is how do I plan this in a sprint backlog?
            > >
            > > It seems like overkill to have a different backlog for every
            project,
            > > because some of these projects are only 10 hours or 30 hours.
            But to
            > > put them all in one backlog has its own problems, because each
            project
            > > has a different release day (i.e. a different sprint duration).
            > >
            > > Any advice on how to handle this?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Bill Koscho

            > > Scrum
            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Scrum&w1=Scrum&c=1&s=11&.sig=KvDTKhw7ncC9XbB25jdApQ>

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Message 5 of 13 , May 18, 2006
              On Thursday, May 18, 2006, at 11:51:36 AM, William J. Koscho wrote:

              > In our case, we will deliver the final product to customer 1 after
              > one week's time and a different final product to customer 2 after 30
              > day's time. So, if everything is in one backlog, by burndown chart
              > is not truely accurate for each customer.

              > I was thinking, that I may have one backlog and add a column
              > indicating the customer. Then on my burndown I can have one chart,
              > with different burndown graphs, one for each client.

              What will that give you that you don't have now?

              We know less about the project today than at any time in the future.
              -- Chet Hendrickson
              You mean today is the dumbest day of the rest of my life?
              -- Ron Jeffries
            • Koscho, William
              Message 6 of 13 , May 18, 2006
                Right now, I don't have anything. All of the tasks are in everyone's heads, and it is difficult to get a grasp of where we are in the delivery of each project.

                I am trying to figure out how to know where I am in each project (e.g. how many days are left).

                I initially did this by having a different backlog for each project and I ended up with 12 backlogs, some of which were only 5 days long and others where 30 days long. It was difficult to manage.

                I was hoping someone could offer some advice on how to track/manage many small projects like we have but without too much overhead. My thought is to stick with one backlog and one burndown and just put everything on those 2 documents.

                I was hoping someone may have another idea.

                On Thursday, May 18, 2006, at 11:51:36 AM, William J. Koscho wrote:

                > In our case, we will deliver the final product to customer 1 after
                > one week's time and a different final product to customer 2 after 30
                > day's time. So, if everything is in one backlog, by burndown chart
                > is not truely accurate for each customer.

                > I was thinking, that I may have one backlog and add a column
                > indicating the customer. Then on my burndown I can have one chart,
                > with different burndown graphs, one for each client.

                What will that give you that you don't have now?

                We know less about the project today than at any time in the future.
                -- Chet Hendrickson
                You mean today is the dumbest day of the rest of my life?
                -- Ron Jeffries

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 13 , May 18, 2006
                  On Thursday, May 18, 2006, at 1:33:07 PM, Koscho, William wrote:

                  > Right now, I don't have anything. All of the tasks are in
                  > everyone's heads, and it is difficult to get a
                  > grasp of where we are in the delivery of each project.

                  > I am trying to figure out how to know where I am in each project (e.g. how many days are left).

                  > I initially did this by having a different backlog for each
                  > project and I ended up with 12 backlogs, some
                  > of which were only 5 days long and others where 30 days long. It was difficult to manage.

                  > I was hoping someone could offer some advice on how to
                  > track/manage many small projects like we have but
                  > without too much overhead. My thought is to stick with one
                  > backlog and one burndown and just put everything
                  > on those 2 documents.

                  That's what I'd do. You spoke of a breakout for separate recipients
                  ... I don't think I'd even do that, but I could be wrong ...

                  Do as you will, try to do it well. That's what I do.
                • bgloger
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 18, 2006
                    Hi, try to start by tracking a project as a backlog item. If it is a big backlog item decompose it.
                    then let the team track the tasks for each backlog item/project

                    Boris.
                    ------------------------
                    Gesendet mit T-Mobile Instant Email.

                    On Thursday, May 18, 2006, at 11:51:36 AM, William J. Koscho wrote:

                    > In our case, we will deliver the final product to customer 1 after
                    > one week's time and a different final product to customer 2 after 30
                    > day's time.  So, if everything is in one backlog, by burndown chart
                    > is not truely accurate for each customer.

                    > I was thinking, that I may have one backlog and add a column
                    > indicating the customer.  Then on my burndown I can have one chart,
                    > with different burndown graphs, one for each client.

                    What will that give you that you don't have now?

                    We know less about the project today than at any time in the future.
                      -- Chet Hendrickson
                    You mean today is the dumbest day of the rest of my life?
                      -- Ron Jeffries

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    ----------------
                  • Shannon Gilliam
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 18, 2006

                      Have you considered using the ScrumWorks software? It is a very simple program that should easily allow you to set up different projects of different lengths and track each accordingly. It will record both product backlog and more granular tasks for each backlog item if you need to.

                      Shannon Gilliam

                      Project Manager

                      Commission Junction, a ValueClick Company

                      530 East Montecito St.

                      Santa Barbara, CA   93103

                      Email: sgilliam@...

                      On Thursday, May 18, 2006, at 11:51:36 AM, William J. Koscho wrote:

                      > In our case, we will deliver the final product to customer 1 after
                      > one week's time and a different final product to customer 2 after 30
                      > day's time.  So, if everything is in one backlog, by burndown chart
                      > is not truely accurate for each customer.

                      > I was thinking, that I may have one backlog and add a column
                      > indicating the customer.  Then on my burndown I can have one chart,
                      > with different burndown graphs, one for each client.

                      What will that give you that you don't have now?

                      We know less about the project today than at any time in the future.
                        -- Chet Hendrickson
                      You mean today is the dumbest day of the rest of my life?
                        -- Ron Jeffries

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • graudowd
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 18, 2006
                        We are currently using VersionOne (http://www.versionone.net) and I
                        really like it. They have recently released a new version (1.6) that
                        has made my life easier.

                        Check it, it may help

                        Derik Whittaker
                        Derik.Whittaker@...

                        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Shannon Gilliam"
                        <sgilliam@...> wrote:

                        > Have you considered using the ScrumWorks software? It is a very simple
                        > program that should easily allow you to set up different projects of
                        > different lengths and track each accordingly. It will record both
                        > product backlog and more granular tasks for each backlog item if you
                        > need to.
                        >

                        > Shannon Gilliam
                        >
                        > Project Manager

                        > Commission Junction, a ValueClick Company
                        >
                        > 530 East Montecito St.
                        >
                        > Santa Barbara, CA 93103
                        >
                        > Email: sgilliam@... <mailto:sgilliam@...>
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Ilja Preuss
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 18, 2006
                          > Have you considered using the ScrumWorks software? It is a very
                          > simple program that should easily allow you to set up different
                          > projects of different lengths and track each accordingly. It will
                          > record both product backlog and more granular tasks for each backlog
                          > item if you need to.

                          I wouldn't want to have more than one backlog for one team. I'd simply have
                          one backlog with items of different priority. Splitting the backlog won't
                          help with managing scope to the velocity of the team.

                          And I wouldn't use software until I'd have tried for some time without it.
                          In fact, even when using software, I'd still have a wall of cards and
                          manually created, big flashy burn charts. The value isn't in having some
                          software juggle the numbers for you, but in having the team members
                          constantly communicate about them.

                          Take care, Ilja
                        • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 19, 2006

                            We also started out initially with separate sprints (and separate backlogs) for different small projects. The problem with this was that we couldn’t get any rhythm going and the estimations from the team were all over the place. Once we decided to handle all work in one big backlog, fix the sprint length to two weeks and fix the team size, all of this settled down. Now the rhythm is setting in and the team is getting pretty good at estimating and hitting their sprint goals.

                            So the advice would be: put all in one backlog. Make the smaller projects into user stories. If necessary, reduce the sprint size to one week.

                            On the other hand, if you have such short projects, you might as well use anything that sounds right to you. There is very little danger of the requirements shifting in such a short period. Visibility can be achieved in many ways. Burndown charts are one of them. It sounds to me like the most important thing for you would to first get the tasks out of everyone’s head and into the open (whiteboard with sticky notes ?, printed spreadsheets ?)

                            Regards,

                            Wolfgang