Comments on the list 29 Nov

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
      Here are a couple of comments on issues raised on the list yesterday:

      1. SCRUM works for any type of project. It was originally designed for
      product development companies with 100s or 1000s of customers.

      2. We are evolving the Backlog management at PatientKeeper and have now
      thoroughly integrated it with GNATS which we are using for bug tracking.
      Whether it is a bug or a development task, it is backlog. Our configuration
      management system is driven by the numbers for items in GNATS. A development
      can update his backlog in less than 60 seconds a day by entering only two
      items for active tasks, days invested, and days estimated to completion. A
      simple algorithm automatically inflates as estimate on a task that is
      dragging out.

      3. Sprints are monthly deliveries of new products to real customers. We have
      multiple projects and multiple sprints going on simultaneously. We identify
      a Milestone which identifies a deliverable sprint package. All required
      items are given HIGH priority if they need delivery in the sprint. The
      development team can completely set up a new sprint in less than a day. We
      use the neural net of a team of expert developers so they lay out the tasks
      themselves to hit the objective to tee up the sprint. In the daily SCRUM the
      product manager and development manager tweak the efforts by adding,
      removing, or altering tasks in the backlog.

      4. The goal is 1 minute of overhead per day per developer for project
      management and 10 minutes a day for the project leader to adminstrate the
      project. Everything else is the normal interactions and coding required to
      deliver product.

      We intend to deliver this backlog package into the GNATS open source
      community so anyone can use it. Meanwhile if you have any interest, post or
      email comments.

      Jeff Sutherland

      Chief Technology Officer
      PatientKeeper, Inc.
      20 Guest Street, Suite 500
      Brighton, MA 02135
      Tel. 617-987-0394 Mobile: 617-947-7400
      jeff.sutherland@...
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
        Excellent implementation.
        Ken

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
          Hello,
          Has this Backlog management system been completed? Is it available
          somewhere?

          Thanks in advance,
          Jonas