Re: [scrumdevelopment] Slack Time (was Metrics)

  • mpkirby@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 22 , May 2, 2006
      On 2 May 2006 at 10:08, David H. wrote:

      > Personally I always thought that people are off by a certain
      > "percentage" and not by a fixed factor?

      In practice, we use a delphi process for doing the estimates. Depending on the spread, we
      calculate the "error". Typically we add 1/2 a standard deviation to the estimates. It's
      spreadsheet magic. It works pretty well, except for larger features, where we can't seem to
      estimate right no matter what we do.

      Mike

      ---
      mpkirby@...
    • budcookson
      Message 2 of 22 , May 3, 2006
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, mpkirby@... wrote:
        It works pretty well, except for larger features, where we can't seem to
        > estimate right no matter what we do.
        >
        > Mike

        Mike - there are two things that makes my estimating a lot more
        accurate. First is to make sure that you never estimate something
        that you can't get your arms around. Typically, I say that anything
        less than 40 hours is going to be pretty accurate because you can
        easily comprehend what it is going to take to do the work. However,
        this number will vary depending on the people and the environment.

        The second thing that I do is to estimate the accuracy of my estimates
        based on the unknowns in the estimating process. It doesn't take long
        to master the technique and it doesn't have to be applied to every
        estimate. Just those that are larger than you feel comfortable
        accepting the risk of missing the estimate by X% (whatever that number
        is).

        Good estimating to all.

        Bud Cookson
        www.RidgelineSoftware.biz