Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum project update - trials and tribulations

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
      On Saturday, April 29, 2006, at 10:22:02 PM, itmercenary wrote:

      >> And of course, the problems with the five day sprint will just be
      >> worse with the seven day one.

      > ...aaand that's exactly what's happening! It is odd and has thrown
      > things right off. I'd say the PO is oblivious, but since winning
      > their "victory", they've been very reticent and tend toward being
      > very careful around me. They still don't get it, mind you...

      And, I bet, still things aren't getting done.

      Relationship with PO is obviously part of the issue. Were I you, I'd
      also be having a chat with my boss about undercutting me.

      If you're gonna do Agile, people need to have a basic understanding
      of it. We'll touch on that further as we go on here ...

      >> they commit to do. If that were being done, why did the team draw
      >> the line anywhere other than where they thought they could go?

      > They didn't -- we literally reached an impasse with the PO where
      > they refused to triage their shortlist of features for the iteration
      > any further. The PO actually said: "That's as much as you're
      > getting from me. I need these features."

      I'd sit with the PO privately and ask: "How's that pressure and
      intransigence and unwillingness to compromise working for you? Is it
      getting you the product you want, when you want it? ... I didn't
      think so. Now let's talk about how you can help get what you really

      > So, the team decided that the only way to get around the impasse is
      > to actually bust the features into tasks to see where they stand --
      > I know. I know.

      Estimating and predicting what will happen can be helpful. The PO
      needs to learn that holding people's feet to the first doesn't work.
      Speaking of which, try this article. Maybe some folks there will
      benefit from it:

      Making the Date
      Ron Jeffries

      It seems like every development project begins with the date, and
      we're held responsible for "making the date". Making the date is
      not a development responsibility. Here's why.

      Updated with cool cartoon from Simon Baker.

      > I'll admit it: No, I do not have CSM training - I need it and was
      > going to register for it when this project landed in my lap.

      It could help ... as could some help from some highly-paid
      consultant with a clue.

      >> Extend the project with another sprint if you want more features.
      >> Longer sprints Do Not Help in my not at all humble opinion.

      > Don't I know it. I just can't seem to make others accept it.
      > Especially the PO.

      I'd think that some simple measurements of done, and not done, would
      begin to be convincing. Of course this train is going to wreck
      before anyone there actually learns anything ...

      >> Is the team actually doing Sprint planning ... ?

      > Merely reaping the whirlwind of years of waterfall planning
      > mentality.

      >> This isn't Scrum: it isn't Agile. And, I'm afraid it isn't going to
      >> work.

      > I've already expressed that to a superior, among other things.
      > Actually, I was prescient enough to have said it before we even
      > began to my boss - but we still soldiered on.

      There are times to do that, and times not to. I've done it more
      often in the past than I would in the future.

      > I'm going to finish this project as best I can, but I don't know if
      > I'll recommend attempting another Scrum/agile project with the same
      > PO and team.

      At least not without some training and discussion, I'd hope ...

      > We all need training in various aspects of our disciplines.

      Indeed ...

      Ron Jeffries
      Knowledge must come through action;
      you can have no test which is not fanciful, save by trial. -- Sophocles