RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: SCRUM in a Matrixed Environment

  • bas.vodde@nokia.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27, 2006

      Hi,

      IMHO matrix organizations is not such a good idea for software development. I hope that all
      scrum masters in matrix organization can keep pointing that out (to management). :)

      If you need some more concrete facts. Capers Jones in his Software Assesments, Benchmarks
      and Best Practices states:

      "The matrix structure tends to raise the management head count for larger projects. Because software
      productivity declines as the management count goes up, this form of organization can be hazardous
      for software. (SPR lacks data on effectiveness of the matrix organization for hardware or other kind of
      projects besides software. I have no opinion on the effectiveness of the matrix organization outside
      the software domain)"

      And this is based on a study on quite much projects. Might help in convincing.

      Bas

      ps. We use scrum in a matrixed organization and it does work... though not sure what the benefits of
            the matrix organization is :)