scrum software

  • Stephen Haberman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2003
      Hello,

      I'm just starting to do some project management and have read
      through the SCRUM book a time or two and am looking forward to using
      SCRUM ideas on an up coming project I'm leading.

      I noticed when looking at the ScrumMaster certification that one of
      the certification benefits is a license to use the Scrum Project
      Management System.

      Is there a way to use/demo this system outside of the Scrum
      certification course (given that it's booked and, despite my
      enthusiasm, I'm not experienced enough to attend)?

      Or is there a comparable SCRUM-based project management system
      people have developed? Or perhaps even a best-practice way of
      tracking the SCRUM aspects of a project via plain text files?

      I've got an itch to develop just this sort of system if I can't find
      an available implementation, as it'd be a great exposure to the
      various details and relationships in SCRUM. But, as always, time is
      a significant limiting factor in whether I'd actually get to scratch
      that itch.

      My interpretation of the motivation behind this certification course
      is that you want to maintain quality control over the SCRUM brand so
      that not just any Tom, Dick, or Harry can go out saying they know
      SCRUM, completely screw over a project, and then SCRUM gets blamed
      (I'm thinking this sort of thing happened a lot with XP). This makes
      a lot of sense; but I'm a Tom, Dick, or Harry that would like to use
      SCRUM. Am I discouraged from doing so until I can get certified? Or
      can I use the practices but not officially use the SCRUM name or
      what not?

      (Though perhaps my interpretation is just wrong, in which case, I
      apologize in advance for making assumptions.)

      I'd appreciate any advise.

      Thanks,
      Stephen