RE: [scrumdevelopment] Culture clash - was - Re: monitoring bad SCRUM

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 28 10:22 AM
      On #1, it's been my experience that this is almost universal with recent
      college graduates. My theory is that they are used to every professor
      grading them independently. I can't go to my Physics prof and say "I was
      busy with Chemistry homework all weekend and did a great job on that so
      please factor that in when you grade me." Each professor evaluates them
      independently so they are accustomed to having to do A quality work for
      each. That carries over into how they view their work for a manager. But,
      you're right--not every task on a project needs A-quality work. Some things
      just need to be done. (They can't, perhaps, be done poorly; but doing them
      overly well is unnecessary.) I used to work with someone who frequently
      said, "The perfect is the enemy of the good," which is a good way to think
      about it.

      As for #3, the team will usually respond better (take more ownership) if
      they pick what they do by the date, rather than it being told to them. But,
      of course, that's fundamental to Scrum.

      -Mike