Re: [scrumdevelopment] AgileInNonAgileOrganization

  • clarke ching
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
      Hey Tom,

      I don't have an answer, but I do have a quesiton: how'd you do the cute animation drawing thingymajig?

      Clarke

      tsteele3rt <tsteele@...> wrote:
      I am looking for feedback on an approach to working Agile (with Scrum)
      in a very non-Agile organization. Rather than explain my approach in
      words, I've tried to put together a picture story that can be viewed
      at http://tinyurl.com/zcyb2.

      I've used a similar approach in the past, but was thinking about it
      more formally and wanted to get feedback.

      Thanks,
      Tom

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • tsteele3rt
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
        > I don't have an answer, but I do have a quesiton: how'd you do the
        cute animation drawing thingymajig?

        White board, digital camera, and PowerPoint.

        Tom
      • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006
          Tom:
          Very cool approach.   I am wondering how many more practitioners such as yourself have similar implementation stories and if you and the rest are interested in collaborating on putting together a compilation.

          IMO it is about time those of us working as employees inside the non agile world reveal what Scrum and Agile look like when we move ahead.

          Do I think you are going to be successful?  Yep.  Do I think your company is going to adopt Agile and Scrum?  Depends.  Make it look too easy, get too many people having too much fun and then have the work drop off the radar screen because there is no Panic / Crisis du jour, and you will have problems getting Executive Management recognition.  HOWEVER, track the money (time, resources, and rate of product acceptance) and compare it to a visible project and then I would say everybody is going to listen.

          Any chance of a copy of the PPT?
          --
          Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

          The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

          From: "tsteele3rt" <tsteele@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006
            Thanks for the nice comments. As a clarification, I am a software
            develoment consultant being brought in to implement a solution. I have
            used Agile/Scrum techniques with great success in the past with this
            client.

            Despite those past successes, the client insists on pursuing very non-
            Agile approaches as evidenced by their large requirements gathering
            effort. The good news is that even though they start non-Agile, they
            recognize our track record and insist on getting us involved.

            > Any chance of a copy of the PPT?
            I will try to add the PPT to the files area of this group.

            Tom