Scrum Waltzing -> was RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum Ownership

  • Mike Dwyer
    Message 1 of 99 , Apr 3, 2006
      I used the waltz analogy a while ago, partially because I was looking and
      Tim Lister on the cover of Waltzing with Bears and partially because it is
      such a simple set of rule to dance by and mostly because of the last chick
      flick I was noble enough not to grab the switcher on that was all about ball
      room dancing.

      No wouldn't you know that the two remaining grey cells in my head bumped
      into a synapse - BAM Headache!

      All three are examples of the Waltz you know 1,2,3 1,2,3 right foot, bring
      left foot to right foot, one step to right. Bring left foot to right.

      All are called waltzing, except. One is what you do at dance class, one is
      what you do to read about risk and one is a form of competition that
      combines Olympic caliber training with the clothes racks from Vegas.

      What makes them all the waltz. 1,2,3 1,2,3 right foot, bring left foot to
      right foot, one step to right. Bring left foot to right.

      What makes Jeff's or Glen's or my use of the same principles of classic
      scrum not Scrum we all have a product backlog, we all have a product owner
      driven way to select work for a timebox, and we all communicate daily the
      critical information to each other and those that are concerned. Most of
      all we all measure by a simple DONE or NOT based on Product Owner
      acceptance.

      Break anyone of these simple rules and you are not just failing at Scrum you
      are failing period. Goes for waltzing as well as Scrum.

      Oh yes there is one more thing that waltzing and Scrum have and that is a
      rhythm capable of maintaining the dance at different tempos for different
      levels of skill. This way everyone enjoys what they are doing, does the job
      to the expectations of the Product Owner, and has the opportunity to
      improve.

      Michael F. Dwyer

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a
      solution may emerge."

      Message 99 of 99 , Apr 4, 2006
        Dave:
        WOW  What a huge difference from your posts a year ago.  You really need to tell us more about how you got to the point the customer capacity to absorb DONE was saturated.

        Congratulations.

        --
        Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

        The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

        From: David A Barrett <dave.barrett@...>