Re: Jeff Sutherland's paper on Distributed Scrum now on ScrumAlliance.org

  • Øystein Mehus
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
      On 2006-04-02 15:25, Alexey Krivitsky wrote:
      > Although the article was interested (provoking) in some aspects, I also
      > have some skepticism, particularly about the inter-team Scrum meeting
      > duration. It seems to me it is impossible to make this meeting within
      > even half an hour for 50 pigs, even if the answers are prepared in a
      > written form, which is yet another point I am sceptical with.

      My understanding is that there were 5 teams, of which 3 had members from
      the St. Petersburg office and that each team had separate scrum meetings.

      > For the project described in the article, did all the dev teams share
      > the same Sprint Backlog, if not, then I can't actually see why to have
      > the inter-team Scrum meetings?

      The teams were split across functional areas of the library (catalogue,
      serials, circulation, search, reporting), so the backlog would most
      likely be split among teams, which doesn't preclude the PO's to keep a
      global large backlog, though. The article mentions that any team member
      on a team, independent of geographical location, could work on any of
      that team's tasks; maybe that's what confused you?
      --
      Øystein
    • Hubert Smits
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
        Alexey,

        You can do this kind of stand-up meeting, seen it (for 2 years) done it (for 9 months) got the t-shirt. No written preps, just everybody being there (on time) and an "uber scrummaster" who measured barely 5' but refused to let to the team go of-track (had nothing to do with the whip in her handbag of course.)

        --Hubert

        On 4/2/06, Alexey Krivitsky <alexeykrivitsky@...> wrote:
        Although the article was interested (provoking) in some aspects, I also have some skepticism, particularly about the inter-team Scrum meeting duration.  It seems to me it is impossible to make this meeting within even half an hour for 50 pigs, even if the answers are prepared in a written form, which is yet another point I am sceptical with.

        Another point is:
        Being a ScrumMaster for a project with 6 developers, at some stage we have had problems making Scrum meetings interested for all pigs since the guys were working on different subsystems and didn't care what was happening in the neighbor subsystem. Now it has been improved since we share the task pool (via the Sprint Backlog) which made the guys collaborate tightly sharing the tasks and hence became interested in other's progress.
        For the project described in the article, did all the dev teams share the same Sprint Backlog, if not, then I can't actually see why to have the inter-team Scrum meetings?
        But if indeed they shared the same Sprint Backlog, then I would wonder by means of what practices it was made possible for 50 people (distributed around the globe) to do that: what the Sprint planning meetings looked like? what the retrospective meetings looked like? simply, how the developers from the distributed teams collaborate to sign up for tasks from the Sprint backlog? etc.

        Thanks.

        //Alexey

        On 3/28/06, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@... > wrote:
        Mike and Jeff,

        Thanks for posting this paper and allowing it to be posted, respectively.

        I remain skeptical of the conclusions for 3 reasons:
        • Lines of code are not a reliable performance measure,
        • One cannot infer this is a better way to scale agile from a single example (the developers might be extraordinary rather than the configuration)
        • I just do not see how the geographically disperse teams cause much of a boost over crossfunctional colocated teams, given that the developers in the two locations appear to overlap in time about an hour a day, not providing enough time to pair-program or do collaborative design to make much of a difference.  They just appear to be two distinct teams that share a backlog and synch up once a day.  The speed up might just be due to each team being able to code 14-16 hours a day rather than Scrum++.

        Steven Gordon

        On 3/27/06, Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:
        If you want to read the paper that started the firestorm of
        discussions about Type A, B, and C Scrum, Jeff Sutherland has agreed
        to make that paper available on the Scrum Alliance website. It is
        available at

        http://www.scrumalliance.org/index.php/scrum_alliance/for_everyone/
        resources/scrum_articles
        or
        http://tinyurl.com/p9otd

        (The latter expands to the same URL but has been made tiny.)

        Regards,
        Mike Cohn
        Author:
           Agile Estimating and Planning
           User Stories Applied
        www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Scrum

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        --

        All opinions in this message are my own, and are not necessarily shared by my employer.