Face-to-face communication

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
      Just imagine, if we could talk about these issues in person... and not
      just the "Practicing" CSMs and Trainers.

      Oh wait! Agile 2006 is a couple of months away! Now, if only it had an
      OpenSpace component... What!! It does!!?

      How much fun would that be? Is everyone thinking about the topics they
      will propose? I've been thinking about mine for months...

      deb

      (does anyone not know what OpenSpace is? I'm an OS facilitator, if you
      like I can scare up some links for you...)
    • Michael Spayd
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
        You're such a butterfly, Deb!

        (and we love ya for it!)

        Michael

        On 3/31/06, Deb <deborah@...> wrote:
        Just imagine, if we could talk about these issues in person... and not
        just the "Practicing" CSMs and Trainers.

        Oh wait! Agile 2006 is a couple of months away! Now, if only it had an
        OpenSpace component... What!! It does!!?

        How much fun would that be? Is everyone thinking about the topics they
        will propose? I've been thinking about mine for months...

        deb

        (does anyone not know what OpenSpace is? I'm an OS facilitator, if you
        like I can scare up some links for you...)

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        --
        Michael K. Spayd
        COGILITY, LLC

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
            OK, I'll admit it -- I don't know what OpenSpace is. So, scare away!

            Bill House

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
              I'll put something together on OpenSpace and post a link here when
              it's ready.

              deb
            • Deb
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2006
                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deborah@...> wrote:

                > I'll put something together on OpenSpace and post a link here when
                > it's ready.
                >
                > deb

                OpenSpace is to conferences as Scrum is to project management. It's a
                collaborative method to engage the passion of participants and
                generate a lot of great discussion in a short space of time, at
                minimal cost. It actually works best when there are strongly polar
                opinions. In fact, under the name "The Practice of Peace" it is used
                to bring conflicting groups together to explore constructive solutions.

                My colleague Larry Petersen has an excellent site discussing the
                OpenSpace facilitation technique: http://www.spiritedorg.com/open.htm

                Larry Peterson is one of North America's leading OpenSpace
                facilitators, under whom I studied to become an OpenSpace facilitator
                myself. Larry has led numerous events in Canada and internationally,
                including one series of 14 OS events for an Ontario provincial
                government ministry, involving about 7000 participants in total.

                The OpenSpace track at Agile2006 will consist of two sessions in
                parallel to Discovery Sessions on the Wednesday.
                http://www.agile2006.com/welcome/schedule
                This track is being organized / facilitated by Diana Larsen and Esther
                Derby, who are both CSMs, and experienced with OpenSpace.

                We use it at XPday NorthAmerica events, and it always leads to
                interesting discussions - whether in sessions or around the coffee
                machine (which is where my thinking on metrics started to
                crystallize!) I think it's totally in sync with what we teach about
                Agile - it puts control in the hands of participants, provides a
                minimal toolset (flipcharts, workspaces), and fosters their
                creativity. You never know where it's going to go... can you handle
                it? :-)

                deb
              • Deb
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 28, 2006
                  I've blogged about a typical openspace event
                  (if there is such a thing :-)
                  http://vitalbrew.blogspot.com/2006/04/openspace-for-collaborative.html
                  in case anyone is interested in how it works.
                  deb