Scrum and NonScrum

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 99 , Mar 28, 2006
      Scrum is really simple, barely a process, more a framework. The hard
      work in using Scrum is fixing the things that it exposes, actually
      inspecting the things that it makes transparent and adapting to
      optimize the results and the organization that produces the results.

      Scrum is not the organization that produces the results, or the
      amalgam of procedures, tools, automation, and standards that are
      implemented as a result of the inspection, as part of the adaptation.
      Scrum is the very simple mechanism that helps an organization be more
      effective in accomplishing its goals.

      I've been following the threads about type N, A, B, C and advanced
      Scrum. Although these may represent the engineering, personnel, and
      product management practices that an organization adopts as a result
      of Scrum's inspect and adapt, they aren't Scrum. I think we are
      mistaking the consequences of Scrum with Scrum itself.

      What may be most destructive about these supposed extensions is that
      they will divert people from the real work of Scrum ... seeing what is
      going on in their organization and going through the change process to
      become effective. And learning how to continually inspect and adapt to
      keep their organization's practices optimal. Instead, people may think
      that all of these things that use the Scrum name are advances in
      Scrum, templates that they can mimic and then, amazingly, they are
      advanced development organizations, also.

      We are running the danger of any small process. People want to make it
      bigger. Well, Scrum isn't bigger. Each organization's total ability to
      build complex products is certainly bigger, and hopefully continually
      evolving, but it isn't Scrum.

      Keep Scrum Simple.
      Ken
    • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
      Message 99 of 99 , Apr 4, 2006
        Dave:
        WOW  What a huge difference from your posts a year ago.  You really need to tell us more about how you got to the point the customer capacity to absorb DONE was saturated.

        Congratulations.

        --
        Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

        The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

        From: David A Barrett <dave.barrett@...>