Re: [scrumdevelopment] IBM's Trilogy Program

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2006
      Jeff,

      > It reads like a textbook of all the dysfunctions agile tries to
      > address, however in the end it would appear that the concensus among
      > those investigating is that the problems could have been avoided if
      > they had simply just got the requirements right at the beginning

      Big surprise, hmm ?

      A book I read a while ago made a big impression on me and is quite
      relevant to the method of investigating such large, complex projects:
      "Aramis or the love of technology", by Bruno Latour. I recommend it
      vigorously.

      If you're investigating a large, complex, costly, failed project and
      looking for a simple, tidy explanation of why it failed - chances are
      you won't find one. If you do find one, I'd tend to suspect you
      filtered and tailored the facts to fit your favorite simple, tidy
      explanation.

      Large, complex projects are risky because they are large and complex.
      So, no simple tidy explanation will do - whether "They should have
      done their BDUF properly" or, for that matter, "They should have used
      Agile".

      Instead, I think one learns most by gleaning lots of tiny insights,
      lessons and conclusions from post-portems of this kind of project,
      about various aspects of it (technical, human, political, etc.), and
      how this body of small explanations relates together. (Latour's book
      does just that.)

      Cheers,

      -[Laurent]-
      If a program is useless, it will have to be documented.