AW: AW: Ideal Cycle Time (was RE: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 1348)

  • Scherer, Josef
    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 18, 2006
      That's what his book says!
      A came across this twice, when reading the book and the first time I though it must be a mistake and the Sprint Backlog is meant instead.
      But then I found this again in Appendix A on the rules of Scrum! So I thought it cannot be a misprint.

      I'm going to ask him on Monday.

      Josef

      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 26, 2006
        It seems to me that the desire to enumerate and examine some
        variations of Scrum practice addressing specific contextual
        constraints is a Good Thing. However, I suggest that the apparent
        implementation method, "type-A/B/C Scrum", is flawed -- it is a
        confusing and arbitrary naming system that none of us (I hope) would
        use in code. Why use it in Scrum meta-programming? Worse, by having
        these new flavors introduced essentially from 'on high', there is the
        risk of a New Coke style marketing faux pas, which would help no one.

        The essential Scrum principles as described in Ken's book(s) I think
        are great. However, there are a variety of challenges when trying to
        apply these principles outside of a colocated development group in a
        small ISV or consulting shop. Dealing with distributed teams, multiple
        teams and distributed multiple teams are core practice issues.
        Therefore, it seems that core practice principles ought to be used in
        designing and evaluating strategies to address such contexts.

        For example, one practitioner in Santa Barbara reported that making
        all the team members equal in terms of communication channel was key
        to making distributed teams work. Rather than have some folks in a
        room and others dialing in, he elected to have everyone dial in and
        found it worked better. Not better than colocation, but better than
        partial colocation. There might be a core principle... something about
        'equality of bandwidth'... lurking in there. However, does that mean
        he is practicing something other than Scrum, like New Scrum? I think
        not. He has just done some creative work towards the application of
        Scrum when you cannot have everyone in the same room.

        As for transitional strategies, which some of the "Type A" talk seems
        to be about, these are particularly confusing when referred to as an
        actual kind of Scrum. They are not, if we are to use normal concepts
        of typeness. All in, I think I'd rather see these things referred to
        more along the lines of Transitioning to Scrum, Scrum in the Virtual
        Office, or Scaling Scrum. Static typing is still not the answer. :-)

        Bill House

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Tobias Mayer <tobyanon@...>
        wrote:

        >[snip]
        >
        > I find all this discussion on type-A/B/C Scrum, Advanced Scrum,
        Enterprise Scrum, to be very confusing. It implies that Scrum in it's
        original form is deficient. It isn't. It is only deficient if people
        practice it in deficient ways. Adding more rules, and categorizations
        will not solve that - in fact, I wonder if all these new
        categorizations will make it more deficient, as people (like me)
        struggle to understand the rules of each type. With such focus on
        process, we are almost certain lose the focus on people.

> [...]
        > Product Backlog during the current Sprint. However, they are focused
        > on new ScrumMasters and we have to work on keeping the basics clear
        > and simple.
        >
        > The paper I just submitted to Agile 2006 and put up on the
        > Scrumtrainer list on Distributed/Outsourced Scrum showed 56
        > experienced Agile developers using Scrum with XP principles
        > distributed across the U.S., Canada, and Russia was just about as
        > productive as your Java Scrum of a few people in one location in the
        > User Stories book. Some of their practices are counterintuitive to
        > what we teach in the standard CSM course. These new findings need to
        > be addressed with experienced ScrumMasters. I think they go well in a
        > Type B course.
        >
        > Jeff Sutherland
        > jeffsutherland.com/scrum
        >
        > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cohn <mike@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Jeff--
        > > I'm struggling to understand the differences among all these new
        > > types of Scrum so I appreciate you taking the time clarify these
        for us.

        > > Type A is what Ken has written about and the Product Backlog Items
        > > (PBIs) are fixed for the duration of the sprint.
        > > Type B allows PBIs to be swapped in and out.
        > >
        > > Type B then takes the Extreme Programming approach to change.
        > >
        > > If this is the case then I think Type B loses one of the key
        benefits
        > > of "classic Scrum" (or Type A as you're calling it). I have found it
        > > very beneficial for teams to know that what is selected for the
        > > sprint is what they are committed to. They can tear the system apart
        > > for 19 days as long as they put it back together on the 20th (of a
        > > four-week sprint). They can work without fear that the business will
        > > redirect them daily, thereby creating waste. Similarly, the business
        > > is trained to have to put serious thought into priorities because
        > > they will stay fixed for a short period of time. I've always found
        > > these to be huge advantages over the XP approach of "as long as we
        > > haven't started on a feature, we'll swap a new one in for an old
        > > one." Do you not find some drawbacks in these regards in Type B?
        > >
        > > (Caveat: Depending on how well the developers and product owners are
        > > working together the strictness of saying no to a change can be
        > > reduced even in classic Scrum even as I advocate it. However, the
        > > intent and goal is that we find a high priority set of features and
        > > build them. Some refinement of our understanding is natural because
        > > of the way PBIs are intentionally not fully defined by the start
        of a
        > > sprint.)
        > >
        > > As for complexity metric: Are you really saying that a 3-person team
        > > who puts out a website every two weeks /needs/ Type B? As in, they
        > > cannot succeed with classic Scrum as defined in Ken's books? That
        > > doesn't seem realistic at all and there are many companies doing

        Service.