Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Burn Up Charts

  • Phil Goodwin
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 10, 2003
      David J. Anderson wrote:
      Mike,

      I'm sure executives understand burndown charts. Most
      senior executives I've met are incredibly smart. The
      point is that they don't want to see them - its too
      much detail. At their level, if they saw everyone's
      detailed reporting, the heads would explode with the
      pressure.

      At every level, people need to know the "significant"
      information. Where "significant" for them is just
      enough information for them to do their bit to keep
      the business moving towards its goals. Senior
      executives only need to know one thing about a Sprint
      - is it on schedule? Simply Yes or No with a single
      Why Not for a No answer.
      It's really interesting that you said this because I just got finished writing a critique of our acceptance test reports that said basically the same thing: if all the tests pass then I don't need to know anything else. If they don't then I need the minimum information required to track down why. I specifically asked that information about how many tests were run and how they were categorized to be suppressed. As far as reporting goes, all details which are not mandatory should be forbidden.

      David

      --- Mike Beedle <beedlem@...> wrote:

      David:

      I agree.  Great summary.

      Of course, it would be nice if executives would
      eventually
      understand burndown charts

      http://tax.yahoo.com

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/9EfwlB/TM

      Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408.276.7090, or x17090

      For a bowl of water give a goodly meal;
      For a kindly greeting bow thou down with zeal;
      For a simple penny pay thou back with gold;
      If thy life be rescued, life do not withhold.
      Thus the words and actions of the wise regard;
      Every little service tenfold they reward.
      But the truly noble know all men as one,
      And return with gladness good for evil done.
      - Shamal Bhatt

    • Dave Hoover
      Message 64 of 64 , Apr 12, 2003
        Mike,

        > I think it is fine to assume that it is "independent
        > thinking". This is a good thing because it confirms
        > that at least 2 people can reach the same conclusions
        > and can validate their experiences and explain
        > the world the same way.

        Agreed!

        > (You could always
        > ask the question the other way: Is the stuff
        > from "Growing Software" coming from somewhere else
        > since our stuff was published 5-7 years ago
        > i.e. PLOP3 proceedings, PLOPD4 book, etc. I think
        > it is safe to assume "independent thinking" because
        > our industry is famous for not researching
        > "previous art". In hard Science this would actually
        > be an embarrassment.)

        I think we struggle with researching "previous art" because most of the
        leading agile thinkers are in the trenches, not in academia. This is why I was
        excited when I saw the overlap between the Scrum book and "Growing
        Software". I figured that both the Scrum folks and Roy had probably not had
        the opportunity to find each other.

        I look forward to the outcome of future collaborations between agile thinkers
        who find complexity science applicable to software development.

        --Dave