Product Owner

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
      I am new to Scrum. I'm the Scrum Master for a development team. I've
      got a few of questions about the product owner.

      1) As an organization, we're trying to figure out who should be the
      Product Owner. Right now, there are only two people who are
      considering fulfilling this role. Both of them get along well, so
      this isn't a competitive issue.

      One of them is the CTO of the company. He is my boss. The other is
      the Director of Marketing. The CTO has more time, but it seems to us
      that product ownership is a marketing function.

      What would you suggest?

      2) We will evenutally be hiring a Product Owner. This is 6 or more
      months away. Who do you normally have as a Product Owner? Who does
      she work for (marketing, sales, etc)? Is the Product Owner one of the
      Scrum Master's bosses?

      3) One idea floating around at my company is hiring a Chief Operating
      Officer, and letting her take on the Product Ownership role. Is this
      typical?

      Thanks.
      Alan
    • banshee858
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
        I cannot give advice on the best way to structure your business. Here
        is what I know about the product order - they are the single person
        responsible for the ROI objectives for the product, responsible for
        maintaining & implementing the product vision and are available to
        work daily with the Scrum team.

        How does that information help you?

        Carlton
      • Alan
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
          Carlton:
          Thanks for the response. I understand the definition of the product
          owner. I am not looking for hard-and-fast answers or simple solutions
          that directly guide the business's practices.

          Instead, I was hoping for more anecdotal information, such as
          - At company XXX, had bad luck when the Scrum Master's boss was the
          Product Owner because it caused a conflict of interests; or
          - At company YYY, we found that when we were able to find a product
          owner who had technical skills, our success skyrocketed.

          I'm no more looking for somebody to tell me how to structure the
          business than other people are when they ask what the best way to
          layout the team room is.

          Alan

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "banshee858" <cnett858@...>
          wrote:

          > I cannot give advice on the best way to structure your business. Here
          > is what I know about the product order - they are the single person
          > responsible for the ROI objectives for the product, responsible for
          > maintaining & implementing the product vision and are available to
          > work daily with the Scrum team.
          >
          > How does that information help you?
          >
          > Carlton

        • Mike Cohn
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
            Alan---
            I'd be nervous about the CTO as product owner unless you sell
            products to CTOs. Normally I'd want the VP of Marketing (which I
            think was the other person you offered as a choice) as the Product
            Owner. The PO needs to understand the market, needs to understand how
            to prioritize features, how to combine features into small but
            desirable feature sets, has to establish and share a vision for the
            product, and so on. The VP of Marketing is almost certainly better at
            those things than the CTO. (Of course, I'm making assumptions there
            about your company does.)

            Regards,
            Mike Cohn
            Author:
            Agile Estimating and Planning
            User Stories Applied
            www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

          • mpkirby@frontiernet.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
              On 2 Mar 2006 at 21:44, Alan wrote:

              > One of them is the CTO of the company.  He is my boss.  The other is
              > the Director of Marketing.  The CTO has more time, but it seems to us
              > that product ownership is a marketing function.
              >
              > What would you suggest?

              If a trade magazine reviewed your product and gave it a bad review, which one of the people
              you mentioned would feel like they were kicked in the gut? Would stay late and figure out a
              new strategy or figure out what features to add to improve your market position.

              Which one would shrug their shoulders and say, better luck next time.

              Pick the one that would stay late. I think you want the visionary. The person thinking about
              not just delivering a product, but taking over a market. That's who you want.

              Mike

              ---
              mpkirby@...
            • acox@broadwick.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2006
                Wow. That is a really neat way to look it at. Thanks for that.

                Alan

                > On 2 Mar 2006 at 21:44, Alan wrote:
                >
                > > One of them is the CTO of the company. He is my boss. The other is
                > > the Director of Marketing. The CTO has more time, but it seems to us
                > > that product ownership is a marketing function.
                > >
                > > What would you suggest?
                >
                > If a trade magazine reviewed your product and gave it a bad review, which
                > one of the people
                > you mentioned would feel like they were kicked in the gut? Would stay
                > late and figure out a
                > new strategy or figure out what features to add to improve your market
                > position.
                >
                > Which one would shrug their shoulders and say, better luck next time.
                >
                > Pick the one that would stay late. I think you want the visionary. The
                > person thinking about
                > not just delivering a product, but taking over a market. That's who you
                > want.
                >
                > Mike
                >
                > ---
                > mpkirby@...

                > Scrum
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                > Visit your group "scrumdevelopment" on the web.

              • SahbiJ
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2010
                  What's the role of Product owner ?
                  How can be a good Product owner ?