RE: [scrumdevelopment] what benefits can sub tasking bring to developers?

  • Jeff Heinen
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
      What if a story requires effort from more than just one person?

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
        On Wednesday, March 1, 2006, at 9:56:43 AM, Jeff Heinen wrote:

        > What if a story requires effort from more than just one person?

        Pair programming?

        I could be wrong. I frequently am.
      • Thierry Thelliez
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
          Here is what we usually do:

          1- Sprint Review with everybody around the table (dev team, support,
          marketing,...)
          1a- 5 minutes overview of the Sprint. A copy of the burndown chart
          is used to show the main events of the Sprint. Picks due to bug, support,
          sick leave,... The high level obstacles are discussed.
          1b- About 1hour: demos. This part is driven by a simple digital
          picture of a white board we have in our 'team room' during the Sprint. We go
          through everything we can demo. This is where we have some 'serial-report'
          type of attitude. For the items we cannot demo we also briefly discuss what
          happened (obstacles, issues,...).
          1c- About 5 to 30 minutes: We discuss what should be on the next
          Sprint. In general the top of the product backlog has already been well
          discussed in another forum. We usually have some last minute support request
          that we negotiate against the other backlog items.

          2- Sprint Retrospective and Planning: (dev team)
          2a- Introspection for 5 minutes: What can we do different? We have 2
          week Sprints and I rarely get any inputs here... (I will use some of the
          ideas I have seen in this thread to improve here).
          2b- Planning for about 30 minutes: From Sprint Review Inputs we
          update our Team white board. Because we have different skills and expertise,
          we always have the same people signing for the same task types. The UI will
          be done by the UI developer... This is probably where having heterogeneous
          team members is not helping people seeing outside their tasks.

          Thierry Thelliez