Re: Scrum Testing time management

  • Mary Poppendieck
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 27, 2006
      Sorry for the late response to this....

      Shiego Shingo was the Industrial Engineer behind the Toyota
      Production System. He worked hand-in-hand with Taiichi Ohno to
      develop the details of the TPS. He has written many books, none of
      which I could recommend since they are boring manufacturing stuff.

      But in the one book of his that I studied when I was in
      manufacturing, he says something that I think is very relevant to
      this discussion:

      Shiego Shingo said: Testing to find defects is waste. Testing to
      prevent defects is essential. His whole idea was to mistake-proof
      every step so that no mistake could move forward in the system, even
      for a moment. To me, this is what test-first is all about.

      I believe that if there are test-and-fix cycles at the end of
      development, even at the end of a Sprint, then the testing is
      occurring too late. If the purpose of testing is to find defects
      instead of to prevent them, and that testing is waste.

      Mary Poppendieck

      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > can improve things. However, it results in an inevitable testing
      > crunch, usually at the end of the Sprint. Since testing is hard to
      > estimate, the results are not ideal. Things improve, but it becomes
      > common for the testers not to be done, and there is even the
      > infamous "QA Sprint" that some teams use to "clean up" the work of
      > the preceding Sprint.
      >
      > It turns out that what is going on is that testing is getting done
      > mostly at the end of the development cycle of each backlog item,
      and
      > that it is being done primarily by the "testing people". This
      > results in a number of ill effects:
      >
      > * Developers don't test very effectively. (*)
      > * A testing queue builds up, slowing things down.
      > * Defect fixing becomes a large and unpredictable part of
      > the team's work.
      > * The burn chart is incorrect to some unknown degree, resulting
      > in uncertainty about progress.
      >
      > What seems to work better is to have the Whole Team focused on on
      > each story being fully tested by the end of the Sprint, rather than
      > letting the developers feel that they're done and "waiting for QA".
      > Teams with this focus wind up devising some very productive
      > approaches. For example, they'll have their testing experts work
      > early with the customers or product owners, to clarify up front how
      > a backlog item will be tested. This builds greater understanding of
      > what has to be done, which itself reduces defects.
      >
      > Then, teams with a team focus on stories being tested will tend to
      > focus on each story until it is done, rather than the developers
      > screaming through as much code as they can, while testers struggle
      > to keep up, followed by developers fixing bugs late in the Sprint
      > or, worse yet, in the next one.
      >
      > Finally, teams with this focus tend to develop much better
      > automation techniques, as everyone is faced with the drudgery of
      > manual testing, and everyone sees the value of repeating as many
      > tests as possible, as often as possible.
      >
      > Therefore, while adding testing skills to a team is a very valuable
      > thing, I find that adding those skills by providing individuals
      > whose job is thought to be "testing" is not the strongest move. A
      > stronger move is to bring the whole team to the realization that no
      > feature, and no individual, is done until the testing is done.

      > (*) Poor testing by developers is commonly thought to be an
      inherent
      > trait of developers, or to be a psychological effect due to the
      > difficulty of effectively testing something one has created. The
      > primary cause, I think, is simpler. If there are testers on the
      > team, it is obviously the developers' job to give them things to
      > test, and the testers' job to tell the developers if their code
      > works.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > Accept your conditions, but not your fate. -- Rod Walsh & Dan
      Carrison

    • Deb
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 8, 2006
        Mary, this raises an odd question: aren't our Backlogs queues? But we
        like our Backlogs. What is different about them?
        deb

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Poppendieck" <mary@...>
        > Putting aside the theory of constraints, queuing theory says that things
        > flow faster if and only if you remove queues. In Lean, queues are
        pretty
        > much regarded as evil and every effort is made to diminish them.
        Okay, so