priority of backlog items

  • Boris Gloger
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 22, 2006
      Hi --,

      I would like to get a feeling about the way teams work on their
      backlog items.
      Maybe you out in the field could give us some ideas.

      Do you try to keep the whole team engaged on one backlog item one
      after another? So do you keep the proritization of the Selected
      Product Backlog?

      Or do you hope that at the end of the sprint everything is finished?

      @Jeff - this is by the way the solution for the problem to have all
      the time only 95% of each item "done".

      Boris

      Boris Gloger
      boris@...
      www.sprint-it.de
      www.scrumeducation.com
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 2, 2006
        > I think it's important to recognize that the commitment in
        > scrum is two-way. The team commits to achieving the goals by
        > the end of the sprint, and the Product Owner commits to not
        > interfering with how the team goes about achieving those
        > goals or introducing change within the sprint. Each of those
        > commitments is built on trust; the PO must trust that the
        > team will do the best they can possibly do under the
        > circumstances to achieve the goals, and the team must trust
        > that the PO will not change the goals during the sprint.
        > High-bandwith communication and visibility is extremely
        > important, however I think that sometimes communication can
        > morph into coercion if trust is not established, and when
        > that happens trust only erodes further. The scrum master's
        > duty is to facilitate the communication between the team and
        > the stakeholders so that well-intentioned communication does
        > not devolve into coercion and distrust.

        I'm not a Scrum expert, so I'm not sure what Scrum is saying about it.

        From my point of view, though, I certainly agree that it's not good if the
        product owner *interfers* with the work of the developers. On the other
        hand, he has information that the developers would be well adviced to listen
        to not only at the start and the end of the sprint. And he has expectations
        that are better aligned with what the team can deliver more often than once
        every three weeks.

        So I'd want the whole team to work on communicating *continouosly* in a
        non-"interfering", productive way.

        Perhaps there are situations where this is best achieved by reducing the
        amount of communication for a while. I just don't think it is a good idea to
        use this as a permanent solution, or the default behaviour of a team.

        Cheers, Ilja