RE: [scrumdevelopment] academic research

  • Rutter, Adrian
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 3, 2003
      I am not so sure there is a "scientific" method to compare development
      processes, at least from an Agile perspective. Agilism looks at interaction,
      communication && non-communication and promotes the game of co-operation.
      Akin to the Symbolic Interactionists in Sociological research and
      methodology Agilists "focus on the subjective aspects of social life, rather
      than on objective, macro-structural aspects of social systems." Actors
      continually adjust their behaviour to the actions of others through
      interpretation and the realisation of self. Your research should thus be
      more qualitative than quantative.

      Aidy

      Message 64 of 64 , Apr 12, 2003
        Mike,

        > I think it is fine to assume that it is "independent
        > thinking". This is a good thing because it confirms
        > that at least 2 people can reach the same conclusions
        > and can validate their experiences and explain
        > the world the same way.

        Agreed!

        > (You could always
        > ask the question the other way: Is the stuff
        > from "Growing Software" coming from somewhere else
        > since our stuff was published 5-7 years ago
        > i.e. PLOP3 proceedings, PLOPD4 book, etc. I think
        > it is safe to assume "independent thinking" because
        > our industry is famous for not researching
        > "previous art". In hard Science this would actually
        > be an embarrassment.)

        I think we struggle with researching "previous art" because most of the
        leading agile thinkers are in the trenches, not in academia. This is why I was
        excited when I saw the overlap between the Scrum book and "Growing
        Software". I figured that both the Scrum folks and Roy had probably not had
        the opportunity to find each other.

        I look forward to the outcome of future collaborations between agile thinkers
        who find complexity science applicable to software development.

        --Dave