academic research

  • Julio Hartmann
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hello,

      I'm a Master Degree Student in Computer Science, and I'm planning to
      research the agile software development methods. I'm not really sure what to
      do yet. Because the agile publications are very new, there is few academic
      resources on the subject. I wonder if you heard of any academic research
      going on related to Scrum or other agile methods?
      Any ideas would be appreciated. Maybe I could make a comparison between
      several methods, such as Scrum, XP and FDD. But for doing that, I would have
      to use a scientific way to compare the methods. Or maybe I can use a well
      known process framework as the baseline for the comparison.

      Julio.
    • Dave Hoover
      Message 64 of 64 , Apr 12, 2003
        Mike,

        > I think it is fine to assume that it is "independent
        > thinking". This is a good thing because it confirms
        > that at least 2 people can reach the same conclusions
        > and can validate their experiences and explain
        > the world the same way.

        Agreed!

        > (You could always
        > ask the question the other way: Is the stuff
        > from "Growing Software" coming from somewhere else
        > since our stuff was published 5-7 years ago
        > i.e. PLOP3 proceedings, PLOPD4 book, etc. I think
        > it is safe to assume "independent thinking" because
        > our industry is famous for not researching
        > "previous art". In hard Science this would actually
        > be an embarrassment.)

        I think we struggle with researching "previous art" because most of the
        leading agile thinkers are in the trenches, not in academia. This is why I was
        excited when I saw the overlap between the Scrum book and "Growing
        Software". I figured that both the Scrum folks and Roy had probably not had
        the opportunity to find each other.

        I look forward to the outcome of future collaborations between agile thinkers
        who find complexity science applicable to software development.

        --Dave