Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Burn Up Charts

  • Marco Abis
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 2, 2003
      Phil:

      > Veering off topic a bit...
      > Does Scrum really let you futz with quality? In XP quality is one of the
      > knobs that gets turned up to "11" I believe. On the projects I work on
      > we keep our list of known defects very low. The few bugs that we choose
      > to tolerate are low impact and don't affect continuing development. How
      > does a Scrum project tolerate less than pristine quality without getting
      > bogged down?

      sorry but I'm really in hurry today so I looked for a doc and I find this:

      http://www.controlchaos.com/manage.htm

      my perspective fits that description.

      I hope to have some spare time to answer you more extensively (and to Russ too).

      Cheers.

      --
      Marco Abis - CEO & Chairman
      Agility SPI: Software Process Improvement
      Message 64 of 64 , Apr 12, 2003
        Mike,

        > I think it is fine to assume that it is "independent
        > thinking". This is a good thing because it confirms
        > that at least 2 people can reach the same conclusions
        > and can validate their experiences and explain
        > the world the same way.

        Agreed!

        > (You could always
        > ask the question the other way: Is the stuff
        > from "Growing Software" coming from somewhere else
        > since our stuff was published 5-7 years ago
        > i.e. PLOP3 proceedings, PLOPD4 book, etc. I think
        > it is safe to assume "independent thinking" because
        > our industry is famous for not researching
        > "previous art". In hard Science this would actually
        > be an embarrassment.)

        I think we struggle with researching "previous art" because most of the
        leading agile thinkers are in the trenches, not in academia. This is why I was
        excited when I saw the overlap between the Scrum book and "Growing
        Software". I figured that both the Scrum folks and Roy had probably not had
        the opportunity to find each other.

        I look forward to the outcome of future collaborations between agile thinkers
        who find complexity science applicable to software development.

        --Dave