Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Burn Up Charts

  • Phil Goodwin
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 2, 2003
      Marco Abis wrote:

      >In Scrum you track the remaining work (to achieve a goal) to be able to manage the project in its cost, date, quality and functionality. This quantitative view let's you (with your customers) make tradeoffs between these four variables but it always track remaining work and not duration or money.

      Veering off topic a bit...
      Does Scrum really let you futz with quality? In XP quality is one of the
      knobs that gets turned up to "11" I believe. On the projects I work on
      we keep our list of known defects very low. The few bugs that we choose
      to tolerate are low impact and don't affect continuing development. How
      does a Scrum project tolerate less than pristine quality without getting
      bogged down?

      Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408.276.7090, or x17090

      For a bowl of water give a goodly meal;
      For a kindly greeting bow thou down with zeal;
      For a simple penny pay thou back with gold;
      If thy life be rescued, life do not withhold.
      Thus the words and actions of the wise regard;
      Every little service tenfold they reward.
      But the truly noble know all men as one,
      And return with gladness good for evil done.
      - Shamal Bhatt
    • Dave Hoover
      Message 64 of 64 , Apr 12, 2003
        Mike,

        > I think it is fine to assume that it is "independent
        > thinking". This is a good thing because it confirms
        > that at least 2 people can reach the same conclusions
        > and can validate their experiences and explain
        > the world the same way.

        Agreed!

        > (You could always
        > ask the question the other way: Is the stuff
        > from "Growing Software" coming from somewhere else
        > since our stuff was published 5-7 years ago
        > i.e. PLOP3 proceedings, PLOPD4 book, etc. I think
        > it is safe to assume "independent thinking" because
        > our industry is famous for not researching
        > "previous art". In hard Science this would actually
        > be an embarrassment.)

        I think we struggle with researching "previous art" because most of the
        leading agile thinkers are in the trenches, not in academia. This is why I was
        excited when I saw the overlap between the Scrum book and "Growing
        Software". I figured that both the Scrum folks and Roy had probably not had
        the opportunity to find each other.

        I look forward to the outcome of future collaborations between agile thinkers
        who find complexity science applicable to software development.

        --Dave