Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Burn Up Charts

  • Phil Goodwin
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 2 11:49 AM
      Mary Poppendieck wrote:
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David J. Anderson"
      > <netherby_uk@y...> wrote:
      >>Can you clarify my understanding of your chart?
      >>
      >>As I see it, it is showing the number of Features
      >>completed against a target of the total Features in
      >>the scope. Is this correct?
      >
      > The burn-up graph shows the velocity moving toward the work
      > remaining. It seems to me it's a slightly different way of looking
      > at the same numbers.

      I think that "Features" should be normalized against each other so that
      you are really measuring work. XP style story points would be one such
      measure.

      Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408.276.7090, or x17090

      For a bowl of water give a goodly meal;
      For a kindly greeting bow thou down with zeal;
      For a simple penny pay thou back with gold;
      If thy life be rescued, life do not withhold.
      Thus the words and actions of the wise regard;
      Every little service tenfold they reward.
      But the truly noble know all men as one,
      And return with gladness good for evil done.
      - Shamal Bhatt
    • Dave Hoover
      Message 64 of 64 , Apr 12 6:46 AM
        Mike,

        > I think it is fine to assume that it is "independent
        > thinking". This is a good thing because it confirms
        > that at least 2 people can reach the same conclusions
        > and can validate their experiences and explain
        > the world the same way.

        Agreed!

        > (You could always
        > ask the question the other way: Is the stuff
        > from "Growing Software" coming from somewhere else
        > since our stuff was published 5-7 years ago
        > i.e. PLOP3 proceedings, PLOPD4 book, etc. I think
        > it is safe to assume "independent thinking" because
        > our industry is famous for not researching
        > "previous art". In hard Science this would actually
        > be an embarrassment.)

        I think we struggle with researching "previous art" because most of the
        leading agile thinkers are in the trenches, not in academia. This is why I was
        excited when I saw the overlap between the Scrum book and "Growing
        Software". I figured that both the Scrum folks and Roy had probably not had
        the opportunity to find each other.

        I look forward to the outcome of future collaborations between agile thinkers
        who find complexity science applicable to software development.

        --Dave