Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Project Capitalization

  • Sherri Dotson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
      Peter,
      This is great information and it will be great to
      exchange dialogue on your experiences again. : ).

      We must talk soon.
      Sherri Dotson

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dymond, Robin
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
        Message

        Peter, Sherri

        I think the thing that what is missing for capitalization of a project from this approach is Value. The focus of this tracking effort is on expense, but we don't develop features and stories to spend money. If a project is funded, it should have a business case, and a model that outlines how revenue and profits will be generated, or in the case of regulatory, costs (fines, litigation, etc.). Models you can use are well understood by accountants, they include Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR), Return on Investment (ROI), etc. The valuations of the project determine the capital required.

        A traditional project approach is that after the budget is allocated, the project, its expenses, drivers, and team become completely disassociated from the Value - everything becomes a cost, and treated equivalently. This is a problem, because it removes the primary motivation for doing the project(s) from the view of the team, middle management, supporting services, etc.

        An Agile project should include transparency from the business case to the product backlog and the features that are to be developed. In this way the team knows the Value of the work they are doing in every iteration. This also motivates the team and product owner to find ways to get the first release into production early so the features can begin generating Value for the business. For example, if four planned releases of features account for 60%, 25%, 10%, and 5% of the business value, then this should be reflected in the accounting. The team should then ask: is it possible to release features that deliver 30% of the business value into production at an earlier time?

        Whether you capitalize Scrum (or PM)  as overhead or R&D is debatable, I would argue that you can't have R&D without PM functions, and if that person is 100% dedicated to development projects, then they are in the Capitalization/R&D bucket.

        The main thing we now need to do is get away from the cost based mantra of IT, and start measuring output of Agile teams by value generated. This will force more rigour on the business case and planning process, and give program managers a much more effective tool to manage priorities from multiple projects.

        cheers,
        Robin Dymond

        <aliciayanik0724@y...> wrote:

        > > I'm sure this has
        been asked and answered before,
        > but a quick search
        > > didn't
        turn up enough information for me.  I'm
        > looking to
        understand
        > > how other organizations, while using Scrum,
        gather
        > the data
        > necessary
        > > to capitalize projects
        (and pass an audit).

        > Alicia...the first thing we
        had to do is agree that
        > we needed to
        > record our time purely for
        accounting purposes.
        > This is an important
        > and sensitive matter,
        because we don't want time
        > tracking to be used
        > as an indication
        of productivity.  Next, we worked
        > with our Finance

        department to understand which activities qualify
        > for capital
        and
        > which do not.  So, for example, "development" would
        > be
        a capital
        > activity, but "project management" might not

        qualify.

        > What does "project management" have to do with

        Scrum?  This is the
        > Finance category that we used to account for
        the
        > daily Scrum.  15
        > minutes a day x the number of folks on
        the team x
        > multiple capital
        > projects adds up!  This amount
        of time needs to be
        > recorded so Finance
        > knows how much gets
        capped and how much doesn't.
        > Remember, "project
        > management" is
        an example of a non-capital
        > activity...your Finance
        > dept. may
        have others.

        > So where do you record this?  We don't want
        > interfere with the
        > logging of "what's left" burndown
        maintenance, so we
        > keep the Finance
        > time separate from the
        burndown.  This of course
        > meant that we needed
        time-tracking tool.  Once you know which
        > activities don't
        qualify,
        > you can then ensure that the time spent on those

        activities get
        > recorded and submitted to Finance.
        >
        > I'm
        trying to explain in a few paragraphs what took
        > many hours to

        devise.  You'll need to spend some time evaluating
        > the best way to
        do
        > what you're asking without violating Scrum

        principles.

        > I hope this helps
        some...Pete

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary

        to Capital One and/or its affiliates. The information transmitted herewith

        is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is

        addressed.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,

        you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination,

        distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance

        upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this

        communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material

        from your computer.