Re: Call for Scrum Success Stories

  • kipkruide
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
      I must say, this sounds very interesting. Especially the way scrum was
      leveraged on non-it sections of your company.

      I don't suppose some people in your company could write a in-depth
      white paper on how this actually works. Ofcourse I understand this may
      not be possible since some information is of a confidential nature.
      But your story has certainly begs for more. Maybe someone in there
      still needs a Phd, publications are always good for that :).

      Greetings, Arjan.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Beedle" <beedlem@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > faster way. We have *great talent* in our people, but Scrum is our
      > way to exercise, synchronize and synergize our talents.
      >
      > But Scrum has influed our products in a more fundamental way. We have
      > introduced Scrum-like techniques for business management (e.g.
      > enterprise complaince management through prioritized task lists,
      > Compliance Sprints, and a unified work management framework that
      > includes: 1) projects tasks, 2) periodic tasks like those of controls,
      > 3) tasks from structured workflows like those from documentation-
      > related tasks, and 4) ad hoc tasks like "training in September".
      >
      > Lastly, we do most of our other business management, through Scrum
      > management.
      >
      > This means Scrum influeces our company in 3 *critically and
      > fundamental* way:
      >
      > 1) our company wouldn't run how it runs, without Scrum,
      > 2) wouldn't develop its products the way it does, without Scrum, and
      > 3) and it wouldn't have the Scrum-like features it has, without Scrum.
      >

      > > - How Scrum changed your organization and culture
      >
      > From the Software Development perspective, Scrum guides our small
      > highly-interactive teams to work through constant customer
      > interaction. Our culture is that of *knowledge sharing* and *balanced
      > Agility* (BA, BA), picking and choosing the best practices in context,
      > from basic pratices like our Daily Scrums, our Sprint and Backlogs,
      > our Bull-Pen development environments, through our daily conferences
      > to remote locations, and with foundations in Frequent Integration,
      > Frequent Testing, Frquent Deployments (testing and/or production) and
      > our adaptive Release Management.
      >
      > From a business management perspective, it has influenced us to be a
      > goal-oriented and goal-checking company. In other words, future-
      > oriented but grounded in results.
      >
      > We constantly have items in our business backlog, and we re-prioritize
      > them constantly, in order to grow and become a better company e.g.
      > from tax policies, through financing, marketing, all the way to
      > strategy and operations.
      >
      > Lastly, our product vision has grown beyond having a "workflow based"
      > compliance tool, or even an "integrated workflow" tool (integrated
      > with a regulation database, document mangement, internal controls
      > management, etc.)... as it stands now, our vision is to provide a
      > fully *integrated and unified work management* framework (as described
      > above), that can be applied to *any industry*.
      >
      > Of course, as financial service providers, our strategy is to become
      > the best provider in our vertical market... We chose this market
      > primarily because there are compelling market and regulatory pressures
      > to buy our product. But sooner of later we will go after other
      > vertical markets beyond financial and healthcare compliance.
      >
      > All of what Scrum does for us today, will be extended to other
      > verticals.
      >
      > > - Any contact information you're willing to provide

    • Victor Szalvay
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2006
        Thank you Mike,
        Your work is indeed exciting and inspiring. Keep us up to date on
        your progress and sucesses. I will be posting this to the SA site
        under the Resources section.

        OK folks, thats *1*... who else has something to share? It really
        doesn't need to be a grandiose as Mike's story, everyone is encouraged
        to share.

        You can also submit to me offline directly:
        victor_at_danube_dot_com

        -- Victor Szalvay
        http://www.scrumalliance.org