Scrum FAQ was: Re: Scrum with MS Visual Studio *2003* ?

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 2, 2006
      Ah, here is the trick for searching :-)

      Don't use the Yahoo archive. That search really does suck.
      Use the search on this interface:
      http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.scrum.general

      Note: there is a lag of < 1 day before new messages show up there.

      deb

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Mark Levison <mlevison@...>
      wrote:

      > On 1/31/06, Jacobs, Jeffrey <jejacobs@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Since this is a Yahoo groups list, all of the messages are
      persistent.
      > > Not exactly a wiki, but at least things don't vanish into email
      only ether.

      > No but the Yahoo archive is near impossible to search - since you
      have to
      > click 'more...' (or next) for every few hundred messages searched (not
      > results - just the right to search the next batch of messages).
      However this
      > list has been gatewayed to gmane for a few years (
      > http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.scrum.general). GMane has an
      > excellent, fast search mechanism.
      >
      > However none of these found by Google. So the scrum alliance wiki
      provides
      > at least one advantage.
      >
      > BTW If none one else is interested I'm happy to act as the FAQ's
      garderner
      > for a while (don't expect me to write many new entries, just keep things
      > well organised).
      >
      > Cheers
      > Mark

    • David H.
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 7, 2006
        Steven Gordon wrote:
        > On 2/7/06, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:
        >> I do agree that people need to realise that most quality issues originate
        >> much
        >> higher up. Most of the time when the requirements are gathered.
        >

        > David,
        >
        > In Scrum, when are the requirements "gathered"? Who participates? It's not
        > like a waterfall process where we can go blame some analyst.

        I know :)
        But that is exactly my point. When all of the people refuse to work together,
        customer, business unit, analysis, the quality of the product will suffer.
        Often enough some software department has to deal with developing software for
        a domain they know nothing about. Yet there is no insider they are allowed to
        talk to. Now what will that do to Quality ?

        > It would be a process smell if the team depended on the QA person to ask the
        > difficult questions while all the developers just sat there daydreaming
        > about how they were going to code it.

        Actually I was more thinking that the QA person is there to kick off the
        important act of questioning yourself. I do look at this from a more
        philosophical point of view than a technical one. Everyone can be the QA
        person in a team and I hope that all of us have a QA person in us. I know that
        I do QA aspects whenever I am Scrum Master for a project. However it helps
        when someone steps up and states. "Yepp I will have an eye on it, maybe more
        so than others"

        > If the developers cannot ask the right questions, the solution is not to
        > depend on somebody else to ask them, but to integrate somebody into the
        > team who can show them how.

        Yes, see above, I do believe we agree here.

        > Integrating that person into the team would
        > mean they do not do all the QA work and they do not just do QA work. If you
        > do not integrate that person, then the cross-training will be much less
        > effective.

        Once more, yes, yes, yes :)

        -d