RE: [scrumdevelopment] Burn Up Charts

  • JIM WIESEN
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 1, 2003

      It's funny that you mentioned this. When I first introduced Scrum to our development team after a reading of the Scrum book, I accidentially created the burn-up chart. It wasn't for some time, and more reading that I realized it was intended to be a burn-down chart.  I just preferred the the up direction as it seemed more natual. I like to think about 0% being in the graph origin, and then traking what is done( going up ) to 100%. I believe the advertised Scrum chart tracks work remaining( so it goes down), and not work done. I guess that traking the % done just provides more of a sense of accomplishment.

      We also do not track the backlog on our chart. It changes far too frequently( daly to more than daly) to track in this manner. This makes the development team not really care what is on it any any given moment other than directly before the sprint planning meeting. We also don't exactly understand this, so we don't want it to become a hinderence.

      Jim Wiesen

      Software Architect - .NET Solutions

      Long & Foster Real Estate

      jwiesen@...

      http://www.longandfoster.com

      Message 64 of 64 , Apr 12, 2003
        Mike,

        > I think it is fine to assume that it is "independent
        > thinking". This is a good thing because it confirms
        > that at least 2 people can reach the same conclusions
        > and can validate their experiences and explain
        > the world the same way.

        Agreed!

        > (You could always
        > ask the question the other way: Is the stuff
        > from "Growing Software" coming from somewhere else
        > since our stuff was published 5-7 years ago
        > i.e. PLOP3 proceedings, PLOPD4 book, etc. I think
        > it is safe to assume "independent thinking" because
        > our industry is famous for not researching
        > "previous art". In hard Science this would actually
        > be an embarrassment.)

        I think we struggle with researching "previous art" because most of the
        leading agile thinkers are in the trenches, not in academia. This is why I was
        excited when I saw the overlap between the Scrum book and "Growing
        Software". I figured that both the Scrum folks and Roy had probably not had
        the opportunity to find each other.

        I look forward to the outcome of future collaborations between agile thinkers
        who find complexity science applicable to software development.

        --Dave