Burn Up Charts

  • Mary Poppendieck
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 1 10:56 AM

      Hello Scrum Users,

      I was at the Silicone Valley User’s Group meeting last week and after the meeting a discussion occurred around burn-down charts.  The group has a problem with the Scrum charts because they trend down rather than up (perceived by developers as negative), and more particularly, because they measure two things at once:  both the team’s velocity and the change in the backlog.  If the team has little control over the backlog, the thought is that they would prefer to see the two charted separately, and as a burn-UP chart.  Below is one possible example (hopefully you can see this chart):

      What do Scrum users think about this?

      Mary Poppendieck

      www.poppendieck.com

      Author of

      Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit

    • Dave Hoover
      Message 64 of 64 , Apr 12 6:46 AM
        Mike,

        > I think it is fine to assume that it is "independent
        > thinking". This is a good thing because it confirms
        > that at least 2 people can reach the same conclusions
        > and can validate their experiences and explain
        > the world the same way.

        Agreed!

        > (You could always
        > ask the question the other way: Is the stuff
        > from "Growing Software" coming from somewhere else
        > since our stuff was published 5-7 years ago
        > i.e. PLOP3 proceedings, PLOPD4 book, etc. I think
        > it is safe to assume "independent thinking" because
        > our industry is famous for not researching
        > "previous art". In hard Science this would actually
        > be an embarrassment.)

        I think we struggle with researching "previous art" because most of the
        leading agile thinkers are in the trenches, not in academia. This is why I was
        excited when I saw the overlap between the Scrum book and "Growing
        Software". I figured that both the Scrum folks and Roy had probably not had
        the opportunity to find each other.

        I look forward to the outcome of future collaborations between agile thinkers
        who find complexity science applicable to software development.

        --Dave