RE: Dev Manager as Scrum Master

  • Tamara Sulaiman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2006
      Rob,

      For the companies that I've worked with in implementing scrum, we
      trained the current project managers as scrum masters. It has worked
      well, though as someone who's been through this 'evolution', there was
      a period of adjustment getting used to the non-control and command
      structure. It wasn't bad, however, and didn't take me very long to
      get the hang of it. Often these folks will operate as scrum
      master/project managers.

      With regards to the question of the product manager acting as scrum
      master - would this person also be the product owner? That could
      cause some conflicts; it would take some discipline for the product
      owner/scrum master to allow the team complete ownership of the sprint
      backlog. IMHO this set up is not ideal, but would not cause as much
      concern as having a dev manager act as scrum master.

      I've heard suggestions from agile thought leaders that the scrum
      master role be taken on by various team members for one or two
      sprints, so that each team member takes a turn. I haven't had this
      experience, but it sounded interesting.

      With regards to the burn down chart - my understanding is that the
      team owns this - the scrum master facilitates, etc. Anyone can print
      and post the charts. I've just always done it for teams that I've
      acted as scrum master.

      Hope that helps!

      ______________________________
      Tamara Sulaiman PMP, CSM
      Project Manager, SolutionsIQ
      Tamara.sulaiman@...

      Message: 8
      Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:20:32 -0500
      From: "Molchon, Robert" <rmolchon@...>
      Subject: RE: ScrumMaster same as development manager?

      In regards to your first point, what person would you sugest for the
      Scrum Master? Should it be someone who previously acted as a Project
      Manager or Product Manager? Can the scrum master be someone who is
      contributing code to the project? can someone else on the team other
      than the S.M. own the burndown charts, etc?

      thanks
      Rob