Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Agile = No Documentation?

  • Daren Desjardins
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 3, 2006
      Robert Martin recently made a post on his blog about people interpreting Agile to mean no documentation.

      http://www.butunclebob.com/ArticleS.UncleBob.OnDocumentation

      In my book: Agile Software Development: Principles, Patterns, and Practices, I describe "Martin's first law of documentation" as: Produce no document unless it's need is immediate and significant. Some folks have taken this to mean that Agile Development is development without documentation. This is not the case.

      Documentation is a necessary part of all software development projects. Rejecting documentation in the name of "Agility" is a flawed religious behavior. It is just as flawed as uncritically accepting the production of dozens of different documents in the name of some Ruminated Ultimate Process. Documentation, like any other activity, needs to be created on a prioritized, return-on-investment basis. We create documents only if those documents are needed, and will more than pay back the effort required to produce them.

      Agile Methods require two kinds of documentation: Requirements and Design Documents. All other kinds of documents are optional within Agile Methods; but optional does not mean absent.

      On Monday, December 12, 2005, at 4:07:18 PM, Eduardo Miranda wrote:

      > Actually I have to agree with Jim. I am newbie in Agile, gathering
      > information to maybe become a practioner. And despite all I've
      > read about Agile documentation I'm still looking forward to get my
      > hands on a sample of a requirement documentation.

      Well, there is no standard "requirement documentation" in Agile.

      > Where do we begin? I'm sure isn't just coding, but I don't know how.

      What books have you read on Scrum? With that information, we can
      better suggest the next thing to look at ...

      The greatest mistake we make is living in constant fear that we will make one.
        --  John Maxwell